VMware Cloud Community
jgreenback
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is vCAC a complete replacement for vCloud Director?

Hey vCAC community,

We've been using vCloud Director for well over 3 years now and we're going to start looking into transitioning to vCAC.  I have a few questions regarding vCAC:

What features does vCloud Director have that vCAC does not? 

How does vCAC handle network fencing?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlexJudge
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It can be, but this is a big question!

It might be better to start from the perspective of what your use cases are, what are you currently doing with vCD?

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vCAC infact has more features than vCD and also includes most of the features of vCD. If you have a vSphere environment where you are deploying machines to , you can also add the vCNS with it to get the networking and security capabilities.

NSX is another brilliant product you guys can evaluate.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

jgreenback
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We use vCD mainly for test/dev environments.  Each dev/test group has their own Org that they work in. 

I wanted to know if there was an ability to create network fences in vCAC so that we can duplicate hostnames, MACs, and IPs.  how easy is it? 

Also like the fact that each Org has their own catalog, and can create templates as needed.  Does vCAC have "Organizations" and "Catalogs" like vCD?

Does vCAC offer the same vCNS functionality vCD has out of the box and does vCAC require NSX?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

0 Kudos
AlexJudge
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Pretty much yes to each of these questions.

vShield devices can be used to separate resources into their own networks, so you can duplicate network addresses and names.

Catalogs are very possible, in vCAC terms you'd create a catalog linked to a Business Group (a logical set of users). So you would only be able to provision items in catalogs you have access to.

vCAC does not require NSX.