VMware Cloud Community
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is is best practice to have a dedicated cluster for a vRA fabric?

I have a greenfield deployment and I'm just trying to decide how best to create my HA clusters.

I have a total of 40 hosts of which 3 will be set aside for a management cluster.

So, with the remaining 37 hosts I'm trying to decide if I should create a dedicated cluster which will be the fabric for my vRA deployment.

The question I have is does vRA need a dedicated cluster, is this the best approach? If VMs drop in there that it's not aware of, I assume the resource consumption is monitored through vCenter?

This environment will also have quite a high number of VM's imported into it which are not under the management of vRA and will be managed directly be vCenter.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vRA does not require a separate cluster for vRA managed machines. If you only have a single cluster vRA will still recognize it, allow you to add it to a fabric and provision to it. However, I would separate them if you are able for a 2 major reasons.

1) vRA does not recognize your non vRA managed workloads when you are making reservations. So if you have 200GB of Memory in your cluster and you have 100GB being used by non-vRA managed machines vRA will allow you to make a reservation for the full 200GB and provision to that. When machines are created they will only count against whatever you created in your reservation and you will have to combine that with what vCenter is reporting to see utilization. So it is very easy to get yourself into trouble depending on how you manage over committing resources. Especially with storage.

2) I find that I often end up with vRA exclusive networks, templates and storage. Again, this becomes easier to manage when it is all in its own cluster. If you have users accessing vCenter that aren't familiar with the vRA setup they can move something out from under vRA and cause all self service provisioning to grind to a halt until you put it back. I try to create that cluster and keep as many users (admins included) away from it.

Like much of a vRA it comes back to how you want to manage and organize things.

0 Kudos
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Many thanks for your feedback, this is very useful. is it possible to map a resource pool to a fabric group rather than the entire root cluster? Could that be a way around this? I could set a reserved amount of resource to the pool as apposed to creating a new cluster.

regarding storage I think i will be able to dedicate something seperate from other workloads and make a storage cluster.

the reason I'm trying to avoid too many clusters is due to n+1 waste through HA

0 Kudos
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, absolutely. You can specify a resource pool when creating a reservation on the resources tab.

0 Kudos