VMware Cloud Community
kampraja
Contributor
Contributor

Information regarding new patches releases for vRA suite

Hi Team,

Looking some information with respect to vRA suit patching , Like how to get alert for new release patches for vRA suite and what is best practice to apply the patches in the environment

Thanks,

Kamlesh

6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

The best way to be informed about security patches is to watch the VMware blog pages, especially security. The KB article(s) that reference the patches will have remediation instructions included. No outside patches should be applied to VMware appliances in the vRealize Suite.

kampraja
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for the information,

It would be great help if could help me with the below information.

What is recommended from VMware to apply the patches in vRA/vRO/vROPS/vRLI(complete vRA suite) ?

Can you please provide the document where we have steps listed. ?

Also is it possible to apply the patched in full vRA stack(vRA/vRO/vROPS/vRL/vRB) in one go ?

Thanks,

Kamlesh

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What is recommended from VMware to apply the patches in vRA/vRO/vROPS/vRLI(complete vRA suite) ?

I don't understand this question.

Can you please provide the document where we have steps listed. ?

The steps to install patches are specific to the patch needing to be installed. The KB article which provides the patch has specific installation instructions.

Also is it possible to apply the patched in full vRA stack(vRA/vRO/vROPS/vRL/vRB) in one go ?

Patches usually do not apply to all appliances simultaneously, and they are usually specific to each appliance. There is no official orchestration method to apply these different patches to all appliances.

0 Kudos
kampraja
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks much, However my first question was to know about the recommended time frame to apply the patches if any specific, e.g. after one month, 6 months etc?

Appreciated your quick response.

Thanks,
Kamlesh

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think you're understanding how these patches work. VMware does not issue patches similar to what an OS vendor might do on a weekly or monthly basis, for example Microsoft. Patches are not something that are routinely installed or updated inside these appliances, they are specific "fixes" issued to address either a critical security vulnerability or serious product defect that cannot wait for an update cycle. As such, there is no time frame since it is a case-by-case approach.

0 Kudos
kampraja
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, Thats correct i am new to vRA, So thanks a lot for the brief description on the query, much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kamlesh.

0 Kudos