VMware Cloud Community
lurims
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to send back the workflow run output back to vRA catalog request?

When a catalog is run, it successfully completed the request and the request in "Requests" tab only shows as "The request was successfully completed".  I want to show the actual results of the Workflow using an output attribute.  Any clue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is the form I meant that I used to show back the outputs I captured from vRO back into vRA:

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
suraj_rajput
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not Sure is it what you are looking for.....

so after request is completed you can save the output in vm custom property with a output result property name (or any) .

so when you see the vm in item tab in property you can see your output result.

0 Kudos
eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In you workflow you can use

Server.log(<string> msg)

This will log the message string into the workflow Event history and these will be displayed on the Request details tab as they are added.

You should note that the message has formatting and length limitations and also, these Events are permanently stored in the vRO database so if you write lots of them you might fill up the DB.

I've this used approach when I've used XaaS to wrap IaaS for cases where requestor has no entitlement to the Blueprint so IaaS request is made by a service account. I wanted the requestor to still get some feedback on the provisioning milestones, e.g,

IaaS request submitted

VM hostname is <hostname>

VM IP addres is <IP>

IaaS Request completed

Anyway, HTH

0 Kudos
nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you using an XaaS catalog?

0 Kudos
lurims
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes

0 Kudos
nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I once worked on something like this and did the following:

- at the end of the workflow I created a scriptable task and made inputs ipaddresses and vmnames

- converted those into text format which I then made an output

- in VRA, I created another form "Submitted request details form" its outputs were the names of the servers and IP addresses

Let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
lurims
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did not get this part... - in VRA, I created another form "Submitted request details form" its outputs were the names of the servers and IP addresses.  How do I create the forms?  Which form you are talking about?

Just like when an error occurred, I want to pick up the value of a output variable for example successMessage = "bla bla bla", I want to show bla bla bla in the request (request tab of vRA) along with the message "The request was successfully completed" that you see when you open it and click on "view details".

0 Kudos
nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is the form I meant that I used to show back the outputs I captured from vRO back into vRA:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
lurims
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. I just found the same after little more juggling...

0 Kudos
nsajepi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are very welcome! Glad to hear that you got it figured out.

0 Kudos