VMware Cloud Community
kushubham9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to mark an IP in vRA network profile as alloted/available?

Hi,

I am running vRA 7.5. I have configured a composite blueprint for deployment of VMs. Have associated a network profile with it as well.

At times, I need to register an unmanaged VM (one which was not deployed through vRA) into vRA. I am able to do this with CloudClient. However, I find that the IP associated with such VMs is not marked allocated in my network profile.

Similarly if the IP of any VM is changed manually, in the network profile not mark the original IP is not marked as available.

Is there an API I can use to mark this state changes? Any other workaround?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
xian_
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
kushubham9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Couldn't find any relevant APIs for this task in the IPAM service section.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Two important points when using a cloud platform:

1. Importing unmanaged VMs should fall outside of whatever the network range you specify. Either don't import them, or specify a range which is completely dedicated to vRA.
  2. After deploying systems through a management platform such as vRA, users should not be changing their IP addresses. This isn't how a CMP is designed to work. You don't automate all these tasks to have users go in behind the scenes and change the work that was done. If you have a need for re-IPing systems, don't deploy them through vRA or deploy them and immediately unmanage them.
0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert

I meant this:

ip allocation.jpg

It does not show a full example, though. Under Schema you may find some hints:

pastedImage_0.png

Sorry I do not have a working recipe, you need to figure out yourself...

0 Kudos