VMware Cloud Community
halbowitz
Contributor
Contributor

How to deploy a clone and not customize, only add to a network?

in vRA, I can make a clone blueprint of a empty VM that will customize the machine (ip, subnet, network, add to the domain, etc), but what im trying to do now is take a clone of a machine from production, and keep the machine exactly as it is aside from putting the VM/adapter on the correct network.

I cant seem to make this happen although it sounds like it should be easy.

Seems all the ways to add a network forces me to put in a an IP range that vRA assigns to the machine.

Any help would make you my new best friend.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I'm trying to follow what you're wanting to do. So you want to have vRA deploy a new VM from an existing, live and running VM, but disconnect the vNIC and unassign an IP?

0 Kudos
halbowitz
Contributor
Contributor

Right now ive copied in a VM from a different environment of a prod machine and then converted that into a template (In the future, i hope to automate this part).

What I would like to do is create a blueprint to clone that template and power it up, as is, without any customization aside from modifying the VM's network adapter to connect to the correct network/distributed port group.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

But can't you do that now? If you have a regular vSphere template, create a blueprint that references it, don't specify a customization spec, and pin it to a specific network by referencing that in your blueprint. Does that not work for some reason if you've tried it?

0 Kudos
halbowitz
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, i got it to work.

Thanks for your time.

I went to run the blueprint again to tell you the error.

And the error had some information pointing to objects/edits i made to the blueprint that were no longer applicable.

Seems somehow the blueprint got mucked up.

So, i created a new one and it worked fine.

Thanks again for your time.

0 Kudos