VMware Cloud Community
Ashish1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to delete vCAC 6.0 Entitlements?

I have created few entitlements under Administration tab->Catalog Management->Entitlements.

Now I would like to delete these entitlements but there is no option to delete it. Only I can make them Inactive.

Can someone faced similar issue and found any solution?

Tags (1)
14 Replies
BZajac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'd also be interested in this as I have the same issue with one of the entitlements we have setup.

0 Kudos
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Currently, the entitlements can't be deleted. Only disabled.

Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I believe this is the same for approvals as well... why oh why would we not be able to delete these items if they are no longer in use?  Someone please have a very logical explanation for me or tell me it is a bug.

BZajac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick response. Even this not being what I was hoping to get as an answer, at least I know where I am at the moment. Are you aware of any fix for this to be released ?

0 Kudos
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The idea behind not enabling delete is that some of the entitlements or approvals might be used in already entitled catalog items that has been requested and approved as part of the entitlements. So, for history/auditing/life cycle management point of view and so on this data can't be deleted. Of course, there are a lot of ways to achieve both (auditing/history/linking of data and removing it from an user point of view). So, the feedback from the users has been received and it will definitely be address in some of the next releases.

Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.
0 Kudos
stacycarter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the following strange issue related to this:  I had to delete the reservation and business group in vCAC for a group of users and then re-create it.  This was the only reservation and business group in vCAC  I went to go clean up the Catalog Management section, and in the Catalog Items section, if I click on the Item and click on the Entitlements tab, the entitlement is still there with the OLD business group name.  If I go to the Entitlements button on the left, click on the new entitlement (and the only one in there) which contains the new business group,click on the Items & Approvals tab, then click on the + next to Entitled Catalog Items, it does not see any Catalog Items (can't add any).  It appears fortunately business group users can still login and see the catalog item somehow.

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well that is good to hear.  I just see a bunch of kruft building up over the years.  We are all bound to make some mistakes or want to completely re-design these sorts of things.  Not being able to clear out this stuff will just cause grief I think.  If they aren't deleted they at least need to be hidden completely from the interface.  Some sort of archive where they can be taken into account if needed for auditing but not cluttering the interface.

igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I believe that in the case of removing business groups, the entitlements should be made inactive (but this is a good point that this needs to become automatic). Creating new entitlement and not seeing the previous catalog items is probably because the old catalog items where created with the old business group (part of the original blueprint publishing). You might need to republish the blueprints with the new business group.

0 Kudos
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

> If they aren't deleted they at least need to be hidden completely from the interface.

>Some sort of archive where they can be taken into account if needed for auditing but not cluttering the interface.

Yes, I believe this will be the direction to be implemented in the next releases.

rwilliam
Contributor
Contributor

In order to delete the entitlement in question, you must first delete the reservation associated with that entitlement. The Reservation can then be recreated. This absolutely worked for me.

aenagy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Based on my experience, Reservations are associated with Business Groups, not Service Catalogs.

0 Kudos
chrisheartland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can do this. You must first delete the reservation and then the business group that is associated with the entitlement. After you do that, the entitlement will automatically go away.

(I just tested and confirmed this to work).

thitisue
Contributor
Contributor

It worked for me too.

Unexpected step!Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I hope everyone here realizes that requiring the reservation and business group be removed to remove the entitlement is really just deleting a business group.  Not very helpful for a business group that is in use.

0 Kudos