VMware Cloud Community
SASVenus
Contributor
Contributor

How to bring unmanaged servers(VM's) under vCAC management

Hello,

I'm trying to understand how we can bring the unmanaged VM's as part of vCenter under vCAC management. There are certain VM's running before the vCAC was implemented but with vCAC I see those VM's as unmanaged. Based on the documents they say its a manual process to get it under management but doesn't specify the process?

Can anyone help provide a link or documentation for this process? Also can we set up a batch process or anything else to ease up the manual process or every single VM needs to be manually configured under management?

thanks for your help

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmmeup
Expert
Expert

In vCAC you would go to Discovery -> Infrastructure Organizer to manually import.  A few key points to think about before you import machine:

1. What group and user will you assign the machine to?
  2. Does the group have a reservation that has access to the CPU, Mem, Disk, and Networks that machine is utilizing?
  3. Do you have a blueprint crated that is a close match to machine you are importing?
  4. Do you want to grow the reservation that it will be assigned to allocate for resoruces it's consuming or have it consume resources that are already allocated to the reservation?
  5. Do you have enough licenses for all the machines you are importing?  If not can you get more to support the machines you are going to import?

These are just a few things you need to take into consideration before you import unmanaged machines.  It is possible to script the import of machines and not utilize the Infrastructure Organizer, but you would still want some sort of csv file that has answers to needed information such as:

• Owner
  • Provisioning Group
  • Reservation
  • Blueprint
  • Grow Allocation
  • Increase Quota

I'll see if I can put together a sample import script for you, but it might take me a week or so to find the time.

Thanks,

Sid Smith

http://www.dailyhypervisor.com

Sid Smith ----- VCP, VTSP, CCNA, CCA(Xen Server), MCTS Hyper-V & SCVMM08 [http://www.dailyhypervisor.com] - Don't forget to award points for correct and helpful answers. 😉
SASVenus
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Sid..

I understand the below requirements.

2nd point, In case of a reservation, since the currently unmanged running VM's are utilizing certain resources, can we create a reservation and select the resources being utilized?

3rd point, is it necessary to have a blueprint that resembles the machine that we are importing? What is the logic behind this?

4th point, i'm not sure I follow you, could you please breif about it?

5th point, we have purchased vCloud suite which also incl vCAC (licenses are for 2 hosts for now), not per VM, i'm assuming that we can import VM's as long as we have resources in the 2 hosts.

thanks for your help...

0 Kudos
vmmeup
Expert
Expert

2nd point - Yes that is exactly what you would want to do i fyou don't have one that matches already.

3rd point - Blueprints define the lifecycle of the machine.  When you map a machine to a blueprint it will control what capabilities the owner has to manage the machine etc.  The blueprint doesn't have to be an exact match to the machine, but it should have the elements that you want configured for the machine including min and max size so if you enable vm-reconfigure you can control the voundaries within the ranges you want.

4th point - When you create a reservation you assign it a specific amount of resoruces.  A lot of companies assign resources for greenfield deployments, not taking into consideration existing machines they want to manage, so when you import you can choose to grow the reservation to support the resources that the imported machine is configured for.  If the reservation has a cap on number of machines you can also increase that max machines for the reservations.

5th point - Correct as long as you only manage those hosts in vCAC.  So if you have a 2 host cluster then only that cluster can be utilized according to the licesing.

Thanks,

Sid Smith

Blog: http://www.dailyhypervisor.com

Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dailyhypervisor

Sid Smith ----- VCP, VTSP, CCNA, CCA(Xen Server), MCTS Hyper-V & SCVMM08 [http://www.dailyhypervisor.com] - Don't forget to award points for correct and helpful answers. 😉
vmwaredownload
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Sid,

I have the same query here.

I already have around 1400 VM's running under vCloud Director.

We need to bring all of these VM's under vCAC management before we can go ahead and release vCAC to end users. Kindly provide us with the script/procedure for the same.

Regards,

Rajesh

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Heya... I would like to take a look at the script you compiled if you'd be so kind!  I have not been able to come up with an easy way of doing this.  I have been attempting to accomplish this with vCO but have not been successful.  We are using vCAC 6.1, vCO 5.5.2 and the 6.1 vCAC plugin for vCO.

Thanks!

Paul

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Never mind I got everything working!

0 Kudos