VMware Cloud Community
aenagy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How to add a vNIC to a virtual machine deployed from a single vNIC vCAC blueprint.

For a small percentage of our virtual machines we have a requirement for two vNICs. I am trying to avoid creating a second blue print with two vNICs or putting two vNICs in our base blueprint. Our environment is vCAC 6.0.1.1 + vCO 5.5.1.1617127. My preference is for a vCAC/vCO solution. Yes, I do realize this can be done in PowerCLI -- I was just trying to keep the number of moving parts to a minimum.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tnavarro1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can dynamically add NICs to a VM at provisioning time by setting the vCAC VM's "VirtualMachine.NetworkN.Name" custom property via vCAC-vCO extensibility during the BuildingMachine state, where N starts at 0.

So if your vCenter VM template already has one NIC, and you want to add a second, your vCO workflow would need to add/update the VM's "VirtualMachine.Network1.Name" custom property. The value of that custom property should be the name of the distributed virtual portgroup or standard switch for that second network adapter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Filin_K
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi!

You can add 2nd network adapter after vm provisioning (items - > select vm - > edit - > networks - > new network adapter).

You can't deploy vm with 2 (or more) network adapters from blueprint with single network adapter.

Kirill.

tnavarro1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can dynamically add NICs to a VM at provisioning time by setting the vCAC VM's "VirtualMachine.NetworkN.Name" custom property via vCAC-vCO extensibility during the BuildingMachine state, where N starts at 0.

So if your vCenter VM template already has one NIC, and you want to add a second, your vCO workflow would need to add/update the VM's "VirtualMachine.Network1.Name" custom property. The value of that custom property should be the name of the distributed virtual portgroup or standard switch for that second network adapter.

0 Kudos
VMANALYST
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One of the other solution which I did is to have "Resource Action" on the provisioned machine which executes a "vCO workflow" which uses Guest Script to add a vNIC to the desired VM. This gives flexibility to user to add or remove a vNIC on a existing Virtual Machine. As I am doing the IP management of VM in 3rd party solution it also gives the flexibility to assign IP from desired network to the specific vNIC.

Regards

Pankaj

0 Kudos
RonPSSC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Pankaj;

I realize this is an old post but am wondering if you could share your vRO Workflow which adds a vNIC to an existing VM?? I am in the process of trying to deploy a Windows 10 Desktop VM with 2 vNICs (using vRA 7) but cannot get past the initial vSphere Guest Customization. It basically terminates at this point. My guess is customizing a Windows 10 with 2 vNICs cannot be done in vCenter 5.5 but only speculating right now??

Anyway, if you elaborate a little further on how you achieve this this would be appreciated.

Thx. Ron

0 Kudos
aenagy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The solution I actually used is in the link below. As with the suggested solution the key was knowing the correct reserved property to use.

Adding a Network Selection Drop-Down in vRA 7

http://www.virtualjad.com/2016/06/add-a-network-selection-drop-down-in-vra-7.html

0 Kudos