VMware Cloud Community
twoton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How Do I Reference Dynamic Request Properties in Software Deployments?

I am trying to do some powershell scripts in a machine that user the domain ID of the person that submitted the request.  I found a way to parse the XML file that gets created on the local machine after the deployment in order to pull in that information, but it seems messy compared to using a binding property in the software deployment that links to the VirtualMachine.Admin.Owner property when the request is submitted.  I tried creating a software component with a property named "owner" that is required and overrideable.  I then created a blueprint with a VM clone task, gave that a property called "Machine_Owner" with a value of "VirtualMachine.Admin.Owner", added the Software Deployment and bound the "owner" property to the "BlueprintName~Machine_Owner" property.  I have a powershell statement that echos the variable into a text file on the host, but when I checked the text file, it litterally contained the string "VritualMachine.Admin.Owner" and not the actual user ID that would have been expected to be in the variable.  Is it possible to reference variables like this and pass them to other variables during deployment, or am I missing something? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
twoton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone?  I tried specifying $VirtualMachine.Admin.Owner as the value for the property, but it interprets the string literally and does not actually import the value generated in the request.  There has to be a way to reference the value stored in these variables during run-time, not just set them....

0 Kudos