VMware Cloud Community
jwhites
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

External PostgressSQL database appliance fails to upgrade form 6.2.0 from 6.2.1

Just posting this here in case anyone else runs into this.

If you're running a distributed install and you followed vmware's instruction for setting up the external postgressql database you may run into this issue.

There is a step in the instructions that has you change the database password/user on the command line when you're setting up the appliance for database use only.  There is nothing more than that about the password.

When you go to upgrade the 6.2.0 appliance to 6.2.1 you will get a failure where it says the pre-install finished but  post install and db both fail with (Update failed (code 0-3)

Untitled picture.png

The solution is

1.go to go the GUI on the PostgressSQL appliance,

2. go to the VRA Settings

3. go to database (it should be pointing at itself)

4. Change the password for the vcac user to match the password you set on the command line...

5. Run the upgrade, should go through.

This threw me for a loop because I was under the impression the database setting here was for the VCAC service which is disabled on the external database appliance if you follow the instructions, but apparently this not being set was causing my upgrade to fail.

Hope this helps anyone running into this issue.

3 Replies
mdittbrenner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I came across this same issue in my lab yesterday and fixed today.  To fix it I ended up:

1. Changing the postgres database back to the default password of "vcac"

2. Running the system update

3. Changing the postgres database password back to my custom password.

Looks like their upgrade installer has the vcac password hard coded for non distributed installs.

0 Kudos
jwhites
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For anyone who read my above post, I also discovered in some cases when you set that database password it modifies the postgresql.conf.

You will have to open the file at /var/vmware/vpostgres/current/pgdata/postgresql.conf

and change

listen_addresses='local'host

to

listen_addresses='*'

The provided vmware command didn't seem to work.

Nodnarb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the tips! I had the same problems upgrading from 6.2.1 to 6.2.4 (distributed install).

0 Kudos