VMware Cloud Community
Sasidhar1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Error "Failure to construct resource name for : 'Cloud_vSphere_Network_1'" while deployment testing

Hi All,

I am getting an error Failure to construct resource name for : 'Cloud_vSphere_Network_1 while testing basic blueprint deployment test. PFA screenshot.

formatVersion: 1
inputs:
platform:
type: string
title: cloud platform
environment:
title: environment
resources:
Cloud_vSphere_Machine_1:
type: Cloud.vSphere.Machine
properties:
image: vRA-Windows2019
customizationSpec: WIN2019_vRA
cpuCount: 2
totalMemoryMB: 4096
constraints:
- tag: '${input.platform}'
- tag: '${input.environment}'
networks:
- network: '${resource.Cloud_vSphere_Network_1.id}'
Cloud_vSphere_Network_1:
type: Cloud.Network
properties:
networkType: existing

I have assigned a tag to Network profile and tried in YAML under constraints, still same error. 

Kindly help me understand the issue and the resolution. 

Regards,

Sasidhar

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnbowdre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Whoops, nope, I was actually overthinking that; the issue was just with the network resource not having the 'hostname' property defined at all - a null value rather than a collision. Remember that the naming template is applied at the resource (not deployment) level so all resources in a template (machine, network, etc) will get named.

So just add 

properties:
      hostname: '${input.hostname}'

to the network resource portion of your cloud template and I think you'll be good to go.

All together now:

inputs:
  hostname:
    title: Server name
resources:
  Cloud_vSphere_Machine_1:
    properties:
      image: cent7
      flavor: micro
      networks:
        - network: '${Cloud_vSphere_Network_1.name}'
  Cloud_vSphere_Network_1:
    type: Cloud.vSphere.Network
    properties:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
johnbowdre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Maybe change the type of your network resource to Cloud.vSphere.Network so it matches the machine type?

Cloud_vSphere_Network_1:
    properties:
      networkType: existing
0 Kudos
Sasidhar1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tried that, same error. Please suggest any other. Do we need to add any custom properties at project level?

0 Kudos
johnbowdre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What does your network profile in Cloud Assembly look like?

0 Kudos
Sasidhar1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please see the screenshots for network details

0 Kudos
johnbowdre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You might try changing the Isolation Policy of the Network Profile to "None" just to simplify things a bit. I don't think those options are involved when you use `networkType: existing` but it may just be adding unnecessary complication.

I'd also specify the CIDR with the network address (x.x.x.0/23) instead of a host address (x.x.x.66/23) just to make sure there isn't any confusion there.

The Provisioning Diagram from the deployment test might yield some additional insight into what's going on as well.

0 Kudos
Sasidhar1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have disabled network policies and changed the CIDR to network address(DG), still same error. Provisioning diagram is attached which says its failing at "Allocation". The JSON file exported from provisioning diagram is also attached. Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
johnbowdre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmm, I'm trying really hard to reproduce this in my lab but haven't had any luck in breaking it yet.

Any change if you remove the constraints section from the machine resource definition? Try to make the cloud template as simple as possible to rule out potential points of failure.

Sasidhar1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I figured out the issue is causing due to ${resource.hostname} given in the project under custom naming section.

Without network adapter the hostname was given as an input with ${resource.hostname} updated in project and the VM build was successful taking default VLAN.

As you suggested, tried from scratch without custom hostname and figured out the issue. Thanks for your help

Is there any way we can give custom hostname without any predefined configured input values(Env, OS flavor, Suffix number etc) with a network adapter in Blueprint design. My customer do not have a naming convention for hostname in place.

For ex: I want to build a VM name as "Titanic".

johnbowdre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cool, I'm glad you were able to track down the source of the issue!

I did some testing with that information and was able to reproduce the same problem you had before; if I set the Naming Template on the Project to something like '${resource.hostname}' without including any randomized digits ('{###}'), there's a conflict because both the computer and network resource try to use the exact same name. 

I was able to work around that by appending '-net' to the property on the network resource:

inputs:
  hostname:
resources:
  Cloud_vSphere_Machine_1:
    properties:
      networks:
  Cloud_vSphere_Network_1:
    properties:
      hostname: '${input.hostname + "-net"}'

I can now input a specific hostname to be used for the provisioned VM, and the associated network resource will get named the same but with "-net" tacked on the end.

0 Kudos
johnbowdre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Whoops, nope, I was actually overthinking that; the issue was just with the network resource not having the 'hostname' property defined at all - a null value rather than a collision. Remember that the naming template is applied at the resource (not deployment) level so all resources in a template (machine, network, etc) will get named.

So just add 

properties:

to the network resource portion of your cloud template and I think you'll be good to go.

All together now:

inputs:
  hostname:
resources:
  Cloud_vSphere_Machine_1:
    properties:
      networks:
  Cloud_vSphere_Network_1:
    properties:

0 Kudos
Sasidhar1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for your resolution. Am able to deploy a custom named vm with a network adapter. 

0 Kudos
johnbowdre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're welcome. That was a kind of fun one!

0 Kudos