VMware Cloud Community
MRoushdy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Directly using vRO of vRA

Hello,

I'm just wondering if it's possible to use vRO instance that comes (built-in) with vRA, can I use it as if it's a standalone vRO to create workflows, and link it with vCenter? I've tried this but it failed, and I thought that this instance is used only via vRA, so I had to deploy a standalone vRO.

Thanks,

vEXPERT - VCAP-DCV - Blog: arabitnetwork.com | YouTube: youtube.com/c/MohamedRoushdy
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

embedded VRO will have authentication provider used as VRA as it is embedded.

However you will still be able to add VC instance using workflows, however its best to use standalone(external)

Please mark this as "correct" or " Helpfull" if this answers your query.

regards

Gayathri

View solution in original post

3 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

vRO binaries in vRA appliance are pretty much the same as those in standalone vRO appliance, so yes, you can use the embedded vRO to create workflows.

What do you mean by "link it with vCenter"? If you want to create and run workflows that consume vCenter API, that should work. What will not work out of the box is the option to execute vRO workflows from vSphere Web client UI. the reason for this is that embedded vRO is auto configured with vRA authentication, but the functionality to start workflows from vsphere Web client UI require vRO to use vSphere authentication (with the same PSC that is used by vSphere Web client).

What exactly have you tried to link embedded vRO to vCenter and what exact error did you receive?

0 Kudos
MRoushdy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

What I meant by "linking" is to register a vCenter server in vRO, and I also need to be able to run workflows from within the vSphere web client. However, since you are pretty sure that it won;t work properly, I will use a stand alone vRO instead of the built in one. I just don't want to mess with the build-in vRO and break it.

vEXPERT - VCAP-DCV - Blog: arabitnetwork.com | YouTube: youtube.com/c/MohamedRoushdy
0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

embedded VRO will have authentication provider used as VRA as it is embedded.

However you will still be able to add VC instance using workflows, however its best to use standalone(external)

Please mark this as "correct" or " Helpfull" if this answers your query.

regards

Gayathri