VMware Cloud Community
Gajendrapundier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Detailed Logs of VM's State from Requested to ON in vRA 7.4

Hi All,

This is vRA 7.4 environment ,i am able to provisioned the VM successfully through vRA and also checked the VM's state under audit logs.

I am curious to know the detailed logs of each state like what all actions and steps completed during the VM provision.Please help me to know the path wherein i can see the

detailed information.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Much of this can be seen in the GUI under Administration => Events => Logs and Infrastructure => Monitoring => Logs. Otherwise, you can pull the log files from the appliance (or inspect them at a syslog aggregator like Log Insight) to get a picture of the stages. Those stages could vary depending on the types of extensibility you have involved.

0 Kudos
Gajendrapundier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for prompt response but the logs which is under vRA GUI is not in much detail.I need the detailed logs like at what state VM get the IP address ,domain join,using custom specs.

Is there any path in vRA appliance or in IAAS components wherein i can check the VM status of each state i.e REQUESTED to ON state@@@@.Please have a look in the attached screenshot.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

As I said, you can use a log aggregator to get that information. I know this because I've worked with the product for years. And like I also said, it depends as to what extensibility you have. The screenshot you show is from the Infrastructure side, not the Administration side. If you have specific questions I can probably answer them.

0 Kudos
Gajendrapundier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't have log aggregater in our environment.My concern is like from customize machine state to customize OS what all tasks has been  completed inside the VM during provision?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Customize machine is vRA applying any machine configurations like CPU/vMEM increases, disk changes, etc. Customize OS is vCenter applying the customization spec you specified in your blueprint. vRA only calls vCenter to apply a customization spec. That is then an operation left to vCenter.

0 Kudos
Gajendrapundier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

daphnissov

Thanks for the reply but i need to track infrastructure and administration changes for a specific VM via logs from vRA appliance or IAAS components state wise.

waiting to build =

Building machine =The machine build is about to start. The provisioning workflow that is specified in the blueprint is being created.

Clone machine = Cloning from template and can see the same logs in vcenter

Customize machine = Customize machine is vRA applying any machine configurations like CPU/vMEM increases, disk changes, etc (As You said)

Initial power on = The machine is being powered on for the first time.

CustomizeOS = The machine is being configured by a guest agent. Custom scripts are being executed //Customize OS is vCenter applying the customization spec you specified in your blueprint (As You said)

PrepareInstallSoftware = Installing Software Components

Finalize Provisioning =

Machine Provisioned = The machine build completed successfully. Operations are being performed on the machine before it is made available for use. The allowed machine operations that are defined in the blueprint are                                                        configured on the machine.

Machine Activated = The requested machine is activated

Turning On =

On =

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the reply but i need to track infrastructure and administration changes for a specific VM via logs from vRA appliance or IAAS components state wise.

I don't understand what you're asking here. Everything you'd want to know about what was done to that VM can be seen from a combination of the blueprint configuration, Administration logs, Infrastructure logs, and, lastly, if you're using the vRA guest or software agent for anything, in those logs which are on the VM (by default in C:\opt).

0 Kudos