VMware Cloud Community
michael_stefani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Decom single VM in multi-VM deployment

In most cases we deploy a single VM per deployment and in that scenario you can run the destroy action on either the VM or the deployment successfully.  But in cases where multiple VMs are part of a single deployment there doesn't appear to be a way to destroy just a single VM in that deployment.  In multi-VM deployments it seems like the destroy action is no available for individual items.  Am I missing something or is there no way to destroy one VM in a deployment?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, you can't destroy just a single element in a deployment, that's kind of the whole idea of a deployment that it's a cohesive unit. You ​can​ scale-in a deployment where you previously scaled out, if that's how you reached multiple nodes, but otherwise no.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, you can't destroy just a single element in a deployment, that's kind of the whole idea of a deployment that it's a cohesive unit. You ​can​ scale-in a deployment where you previously scaled out, if that's how you reached multiple nodes, but otherwise no.

0 Kudos
michael_stefani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I get that it's a logical grouping of servers and all, but I feel like there's definitely times where it would be beneficial to remove elements out of a deployment.  And on the other side of that conversation the ability to add a server to an existing deployment would be super helpful too.  Thanks for the quick reply!

0 Kudos
unhappyvra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmmm, Actually I can destroy a VM in a deployment, works OOTB:

pastedImage_0.png

But - all my blueprints has unlimited "instances" number. 

0 Kudos
michael_stefani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interesting... when I have more than one VM in a deployment the destroy action disappears for individual VMs.  Are you on 7.3?

0 Kudos
unhappyvra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yep, 7.3, but it worked in 7.1/7.2 too. Check your BG/service entitlements, you may not allow "Destroy" action for VMs.

0 Kudos
michael_stefani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's definitely weird.  If I select a VM in a single VM deployment I have the action to destroy, but if I select a VM in a multi-VM deployment it's missing.  Now I'm really curious if that's the intended behavior or not....

0 Kudos
unhappyvra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Post your MM-blueprint canvas please. Here is my case:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm sorry but I told you incorrectly, you *can* destroy single machine elements within a deployment. You should be able to do this for multi-machine blueprints and also single machine, multiple quantity blueprints. I got confused with some other features from earlier versions. Apologies for that. Doh!

If you aren't seeing the Destroy action available for individual machines, check your entitlements to see if that has been added. You need "Destroy (Virtual Machine)" if you want to perform this action. Note that this is a separate action entitlement from "Destroy (Deployment)" and they can be entitled separately.

0 Kudos
michael_stefani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You were right, I had the destroy action off for individual VMs.  Once I turned that back on I had the option to remove a single VM out of a deployment.  My bad!

0 Kudos