VMware Cloud Community
harinderkohli41
Contributor
Contributor

Database Instance Provisioning

A user wants to Provision a VM for his application. But the application requires database instance on the existing database server.

How can the Tenant administrator add blueprint for database instance in Catalogue items which user can provision himself.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tj_orourke
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are a few options available:

-Advanced Service Designer where VCO could deploy a scripted/silent install for a new DB instance to an existing Server and made available through vCAC (in which you could additionally add certain approval policies in place).

-Application Services (aka Application Director) could provision a new VirtualMachine/Application and as part of the execution plan call out to the DB at the correct time to add a new instance

-vCAC Native Workflows Stubs so that when a machine is deployed it could (post or pre provision - where relevant) call out to the DB Server to insert instance.

These all assume the DB Server can add instances and accepts calls remotely, if not and the DB Server is MSSQL you could add a DEM on each MSSQL Server and tag it with a skill so that it could deploy locally (and under the correct security context) a new DB instance

Hope this helps

harinderkohli41
Contributor
Contributor

The idea behind adding Provisioning of the Database Instance in the catalogue item that only entitled users in the catalogue item can access the database server.

So that we don't add entitlement for the user in the database server itself.

I hope i making my point clear and not confusing.

0 Kudos