VMware Cloud Community
BillStreet00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Changing the default Disk ID

My template has two disks configured (C and D) in the template.  When provisioning I look at the storage tab and I can see the 60GB listed as disk 0 which it should be.  I have the option to add two additional disks which I did for testing purposes.  Machine builds and I look in vCenter and find three drives however the request for Disk ID 1 was overwritten by the second disk in the template.  If I create a blueprint with component profiles enabled I do not see the default Disk 0 at all.  When I attempt to add additional disk it gets overwritten by Disk 0 in the template.  I would like to adjust the disk number additional storage starts at to 3.  This will leave Disk 0 and Disk 1 for the blueprint.  Ive been asked to create a second template with three disks in so I also need to reserve Disk 2. 

Can this be done?

pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
18 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Are you seeing the disk mounted as D in your template? Is this a partition on the existing virtual disk, or a separate disk entirely?

0 Kudos
BillStreet00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is showing as the D drive in Windows.  This is a separate disk entirely.

I did try to add the C and D disks on the blueprint under storage however that doesn't work either.  It actually causes more issues.  The odd thing is that on some of my builds I manually create a new disk with PowerCLI, format and assign it a drive letter with no issue.  The only time the BP's fail is if I try to add a disk as part of the request.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, I meant if you have two vdisks in your template (volumes C and D), and you run a data collection, you should see two disk IDs (0 and 1) in your machine element before you even begin creating other disks. Are you seeing that or not?

0 Kudos
BillStreet00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry for the confusion.  I have two separate disks in the template.  If I use component profiles I do not see any disks under the storage tab.  If I use a basic BP then I only see C under storage.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Then something is wrong right there, because they both should be showing up. Have you done a data collection since adding that second disk?

0 Kudos
BillStreet00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Several times actually and it's successful.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

And you're on 7.3, right?

0 Kudos
BillStreet00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Correct

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Let me test this out.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's working for me.

pastedImage_0.png

I added a new drive of 1 GB in size, converted back to a template, ran a full battery of data collections, and edited an existing blueprint to add a new vSphere machine component selecting this template. I can see the new drive with the proper ID show up. So you might want to try to create a new blueprint and see if your template that has two disks is actually showing both.

0 Kudos
BillStreet00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just added another disk and I am not picking it up either.  I used the gui to launch collections but I wonder if it would make a difference through the cloud client

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

That's strange. CC shouldn't make a difference. Post the configuration of your template. Did you try to create a new blueprint and reference the template there?

0 Kudos
BillStreet00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did create a new BP and had the same issue.  We are having another issue with the vSphere GUID.  In June we did a lift and replace upgrade from vSphere 6.0 to 6.5.  I added the new vSphere endpoint and eventually removed the old one once the migration was over.  We still have the old vSphere GUID in the databases for some reason.  VMW R&D is currently working on the issue and a fix.  Since that is impacting parts of vRA I have to wonder if that might be part of the issue.

.pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You have these on a vVol, I see. What happens if you move it to a VMFS datastore? I've never used vSphere templates on vVols with vRA. Just curious if that would make a difference.

0 Kudos
BillStreet00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I started on VMFS and when we moved to 6.5 the templates were moved to vVol on flash storage.  No issues so far.  I'll go ahead and move it back to DFS and see if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Did moving this template over to a VMFS datastore and running another data collect make a difference?

0 Kudos
BillStreet00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, meeting with support to look at things at noon EST. Hopefully we will get some idea of whats going on.

0 Kudos
BillStreet00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Removing the old vCenter seems to have helped quite a bit. I'm seeing the second disk and vRB looks like it is finally pumping out the right data.  Once I get rid of this error I will know for sure.

Request [ced8f7a6-ff37-48fe-82ad-552bc1a6261e]: System exception.; HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><m:error xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2007/08/dataservices/metadata"><m:code /><m:message xml:lang="en-US">Resource not found for the segment 'VirtualMachineExts'.</m:message></m:error>

0 Kudos