VMware Cloud Community
pizzle85
Expert
Expert

Can you use a vRA Data Grid as input for a vRO workflow?

I want to allow users to input N number of objects into a data grid then iterate through all the responses to do things in vRO. I have had no luck getting it to work. vRA always flakes our with an error about types. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
lnairn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi pizzle85​,

What version of vRA/vRO are you using?

Regards,

Leandro.

0 Kudos
dimatha
Contributor
Contributor

@lnairn, hi!

I'm having similar issue with vRA8.4. Need to pass a table to a workflow (Custom Resource in my case). 

0 Kudos
brtlvrs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any luck getting this to work?

I'm trying this with vRA 8.6.2 
It only works from the input form in vRO... but not when using an custom form from the vRA service Broker.

I'm trying to follow the VMware docs Using the data grid element in the Service Broker custom form designer (vmware.com)
to check this issue. And if it is still an issue then creating a support case.

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.
0 Kudos
Ankush11s
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Custom form data-grid will not be part of payload , the scope of custom elements is in catalog request or to view.
If we want to use the value of data-grid then we need to specify in yaml ,so that we can use those values in future.

example: 

Volumes:
items:
type: object
properties:
Capacity:
type: integer
DriveLetterOrMountPoint:
type: string
Label:
type: string

0 Kudos
brtlvrs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @Ankush11s ,

Are you talking about a blueprint, or a vRO workflow for catalog item ?
We are talking about a vRO workflow that is published in the catalog via a content source.

And trying to use the data grid element for a vrO workflow input of type array/properties 
When you drag that input on the design form, a data grid object is automaticly suggested.

I've tried to use the example in the vmware docs but I get the error 

• in_0[0].employeeId: Expected type ARRAY but was NUMBER. in_0[0].username: Expected type ARRAY but was STRING. in_0[0].manager: Expected type ARRAY but was STRING.
    When and having the vRO workflow input form configured, and the custom form in the service broker
  • There was a problem while building the execution context for the workflow run Caused by : class String cannot be cast to class java.util.List (String and java.util.List are in module java.base of loader 'bootstrap')
    When only have the custom form in the service broker configured

So it looks like a type mismatch between vRA and vRO

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.
0 Kudos
brtlvrs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To update.

From the support call with VMware we know it is a bug / undocument feature which is also present in 8.7
The workaround is to create the vRo input as a composite type /array instead of a properties/array
This works.

When creating / editing the custom form in the service broker, the input of type array/composite type is displayed as the datagrid, with the properties corresponding to columns of the grid.

0 Kudos
LuluTchab
Contributor
Contributor

The "CompositeType" solution works but there is a bug with it (even in 8.11.1).

If you decide to hide a column because you don't want the user to edit it, if the row is edited, all hidden columns content are set to empty...