VMware Cloud Community
mikew123
Contributor
Contributor

Can I design a vSphere Metro Stretched Cluster(vMSC) to achieve high availability across data centers in an environment managed by vRealize?

Hello,

Say I have implemented vRealize Suite as my provide cloud. To achieve high availability (for both vRealize components themselves and user VMs managed by vRealize ) across two metro data centers, can I implement vMSC in such an environment?

if yes, any guideline?

If not, how can I achieve high availability for environment managed by vRealize suite?

thanks a lot!

Mike

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I assume by "vRealize Suite" you primarily mean vRealize Automation (although you posted in the vRealize Orchestrator forum), is that right? If you already have it deployed, what architecture are you running?

0 Kudos
mikew123
Contributor
Contributor

I think Yes. I have just moved the post to vRealize Automation.

I have not deployed the software but in evaluation.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

vRA does not support a geographically distributed deployment, however if you're doing vMSC it's likely your latencies are already fairly low to possibly have that work for you. You would need the fully distributed, enterprise deployment using load balancers and separate IaaS components.

0 Kudos
mikew123
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your suggestion.

I was not able to find a guideline about how to install vRA across two data centers (yes, they are connected with low latency link). The only thing I can find is the description in this link (vRealize Automation Multi-Data Center Data Deployments ). BUt that is obviously not a high availability deployment across two data center.

Do I need install two completely separated vRA installations in two data centers? If that is the case, will I be able to manage the two data centers using one single web console? And will be a tenant's network across the two data centers?

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

There isn't going to be a guide specifically for vRA + vMSC, so you'd have to treat it as a single data center installation and make provisions to constrain half of the components to one side. So it would be one single fully-distributed deployment (enterprise method) with load balancers.

0 Kudos
kdelgadovmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The Reference Architecture guide lays out minimum requirements for metro stretched clusters - < 5ms latency and > 1GB bandwidth between datacenters.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/7.3/vrealize-automation-73-reference-architecture.pdf

@KCDAutomate
0 Kudos