VMware Cloud Community
Ludicrous09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can I bind a builtin-customproperty to a usercreated custom property?

I am using VRA 7.3

So I am using the builtin-custom properties below on my blueprint.

VirtualMachine.Disk1.Letter  = E

VirtualMachine.Disk1.Size = 20

VirtualMachine.Disk1.Active = True

VirtualMachine.Disk1.Label = Junk

VirtualMachine.Admin.UseGuestAgent = True

The properties above will build the extra disk with the correct size and drive letter and label etc.  It unfortunately uses the allocation(blocksize)size of 4096 when i need it to be 65536.  I have not found a Builtin-Custom Property to set the Allocation size(blocksize).  So I figured I can just go behind it with a software component that will reformat the disk with the blocksize I want.

I built the power shell code that will reformat and it is an easy one liner  I just want to make it where it isn't hard coded

Format-Volume -DriveLetter E -FilesystemLabel Junk -AllocationUnitSize 65536 -Confirm:$False

Is there a way for me to make a User defined Custom Property and get it to =  the builtin custom property?

ie?

SQLDisk1_Letter = VirtualMachine.Disk1.Letter

SQLDisk1_Label = VirtualMachine.Disk1.Label

That way i can make my powershell code

Format-Volume -DriveLetter $SQLDisk1_Letter -FilesystemLabel $SQLDisk1_Label -AllocationUnitSize 65536 -Confirm:$False

What am i missing? 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, you'll just have to use property binding functionality. There was just a post on this, and the documentation can tell you how to do it. So the workflow would be something like:

1. Attach those custom properties to your machine component.
  2. Drag in the software component.
  3. Edit the software property you want to bind.
  4. Click bind, select the custom property in your machine component.
  5. Use the software component property name in your PowerShell and not the machine custom property.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, you'll just have to use property binding functionality. There was just a post on this, and the documentation can tell you how to do it. So the workflow would be something like:

1. Attach those custom properties to your machine component.
  2. Drag in the software component.
  3. Edit the software property you want to bind.
  4. Click bind, select the custom property in your machine component.
  5. Use the software component property name in your PowerShell and not the machine custom property.
0 Kudos
Ludicrous09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am going to try what you suggest.  I am curious as to where this documentation is that tells you how to bind these properties?  I am looking in the https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/7.3/vrealize-automation-73-custom-properties.pdf   it doesn't seem to mention it any where.  the only other place i can find anything in the documentation about this is here.  When Your Software Component Needs Information from Another Component    That seems to be talking about binding a user created custom property to another user created custom property.  If you could point me to the documentation that explains this in a more detail that would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Configuration guide beginning on p.435.