VMware Cloud Community
TonyKhan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Calling Powershell Script from a vRA Blueprint

Hi all,

Need your help! I have a use case where I need to provide user a dropdown list in the Blueprint so that they can select a project number. The project numbers are dynamic and can be exported to a .csv file and I can then write a PS script to capture that.  I’m just not sure on how to present that data in the vRA Blueprint as the list is always changing?  Is there a way to create a custom Control Type in Property Dictionary say “DropDownListFromPowerShell” OR any other solution to address this use case? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tony

3 Replies
pizzle85
Expert
Expert

you cant do that in IaaS. you would need to use ASD to do those custom server side look ups in your forms.

0 Kudos
TonyKhan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm answering my own question here.... So as it turns out, there is a way to create a dynamic dropdown selection in vRA by using various custom properties. These custom properties don't come with vRA out-of-the-box solution. You would need to have a PSO engagement with VMware to get their special sauce which is called Common Component Catalog (CCC).  the CCC can provide you automations like Dropdown menu box picker, PowerShell user controls, Dynamic custom Hostname, IPAM Infoblox, AD/DNS integrations, Custom Global Properties, Custom Control Types/Attribute Types, just to name a few.  It's definitely worth exploring CCC if you're interested in doing some crazy automation in vRA/vRO. Smiley Wink

Cheers,

Tony

0 Kudos
pizzle85
Expert
Expert

If you wanted to do it for free, you can create an Advanced Service Blueprint that executes a vRO wo... A lot of people on here are doing this currently. I'm in the process of moving all my IaaS Blueprints to use ASD for the form features.