VMware Cloud Community
SENNAF1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bulk import not collecting all unmanaged machines

I have installed vRA 72, I have my blueprints done, configured vCO, created custom properties.  It is now time to import my existing VMs from vCenter 6.0 U3.

When I run the Generate CSV to find all my unmanaged machines it does not collect all the machines.  I have about 20 machines that the csv generation does not find.  I am OK with creating a csv from scratch but I do not know where to find the virtual machine ID or the Deployment Name.  Do I even need these?

I have an open case with support but they are dragging their feet.  I was hoping there was someone out there that can help me or point me and support in the correct direction.

thanks,

0 Kudos
11 Replies
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We ran into a bunch of issues with the bulk export utility and ended up writing our own.  It was fairly easy to put together... Lemme take a look at it and if I can package it all up I'll upload it.

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

OK... I am attaching a package that should at least point you to where to get the values you need.  It has a config element and you'll also need to setup a couple of resource element folders for this to function.  It basically generates a csv similar to what the bulk import utility does and stuffs it into a resource.  You can download that and manually edit it.  I wrote a utility to finish filling in all the missing information.  It will for sure break for you but it might kick start you if you want to automate the whole process.  Start with the "QCbulkImportGenerateCsv".  Its designed to also fill in reservation and blueprint information since we imported one cluster at a time and each cluster was going to that same blueprint.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Sak_123
Contributor
Contributor

@ 

I am working on a use case in which I need to automate vRA bulk import process (import unmanaged virtual machines to vRA from vSphere) Please suggest some ways in which it can be achieved with powershell or orchestrator . I am stuck at generating csv file (both in powershell and orchestrator) 

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There is a package attached to this thread... did you look through that yet?  There is a bunch of code you can leverage for doing this with orchestrator.  Just import it into vRO to examine the workflows.

Can you give a bit more detail on your automation scenario?

0 Kudos
Sak_123
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I imported the package mentioned in the above thread. Can you please elaborate "what couple of resource element folders" are needed to setup , for this package to function ?

I am getting these errors while workflow validation. I tried to remove and re-add the attribute but I am not able to find same attribute value. Please find the screenshots for reference.

My automation scenario :  Promoting existing VMs or Cloud VMs to vRA for management. It includes generating CSV file (unman aged VM details from vCenter) and then perform the bulk import operation. Basically I'm supposed to automate the vRA bulk import process , to promote unman aged virtual machines from vSphere.

0 Kudos
Sak_123
Contributor
Contributor

So I am able to generate a CSV file , however it lacks some of the information like  Owner Name, Property Name, Property Value, [ (H|N)(E|O)(R|P)]* Where (H|N) - Hidden/Not Hidden; (E|O) - Encrypted/Not Encrypted; (R|P) - Runtime/Not Runtime. e.g. HOP = Hidden & Not Encrypted & Not Runtime ]

Also I am not able edit this file so that I can put the missing data manually. I tried to changes permissions on this file bu that did not help.

If you can suggest how we can deploy the file being generated by orchestrator and complete the process of importing unman aged machines for vRA management ?

Please find attached screenshots.

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You'll need to use these workflows/actions as a starting point but they will need some coaxing to work for your environment.  One thing you'll need to do is add some folders under resources to store the results of the workflow runs.  You'll also need to create a config element to store the location of the folders you want to use.  I'm attaching another package with the configuration element and resource placeholders.  In vRO the link between what is in the config element and the new resource categories that get created will be broken so you'll need to edit the configuration and reselect the new configuration element categories that were created.

You can also edit the workflows and just hard code the resource element categories to use or make them prompted for if that works best for your implementation.

There are some additional features I've put in these workflows that will not work in your environment so you'll need to edit those out.  I uploaded these as an example but don't have the time to prune out our environment specific stuff.

Good luck.

paul

0 Kudos
Sak_123
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Paul,

I am sorry but can't find the attachment (about which you mentioned in your reply)

Also if you can suggest how we can deploy the CSV file being generated by orchestrator and complete this process of importing unman aged machines for vRA management ?

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Looks like I must have forgotten it!  Sorry!

0 Kudos
Sak_123
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Paul

0 Kudos
vmware350
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm very interesting by this solution ... I working on this from few days, I can export correctly the csv file and this file can be integrated by cloudutil.exe. But I would like to integrated my csv file directly by vro, I integrated all package on this topic but I don't understand what workflow used import the file and managed vm by vra.

For to do simple:

Bulk Import (Generate CSV File) = QcbulkimportGenerateCsv

and

Bulk Import (New) = what workflow?

Thank you by advance.

0 Kudos