VMware Cloud Community
tperrySov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bug: Deleting a BuildProfile via vRO

I found out the hard way that you if you delete a Build Profile from the vRO method, it will happily delete it even if it is in use by a blueprint.   However after doing so the blueprints that had that build profile attached to no longer are editable, instead you get the vCAC Infrastructure Service Unreachable ( REPO404 ) error.   There is an unhandled exception on the query thrown in the logs, which I am assuming since it can't find the link to the build profile.  

This is with 6.2 vra  and 6.0.3 vro.

Only way I have found to "fix" it is to delete the Blueprint, which you can't do until you delete all machines that were provisioned with it.  Since I am in a lab environment not a big deal, if I was in the production environment it would have been a real big deal...

Either vRO should automatically disassociate the build profile from all blueprints it is used by, or it should stop you from deleting it warning you it is in use. 

Tim

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kericmiles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It would probably be best to submit a ticket to VMWare as a bug and get their dev team aware of it so they can fix it in the future. Devs don't always monitor the forums.

0 Kudos
tperrySov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Agree on the ticket, just wanted people to be aware of the issue.  I have now figured out how to remove a build profile successfully, not the cleanest code, but it works.

You need to remove the links and update the __buildprofile_order property otherwise your template becomes unusable.     If anyone needs the code let me know.

Tim

0 Kudos