VMware Cloud Community
Dipak2000
Contributor
Contributor

Blueprint within blueprint network issue.

I have a Base Windows OS blueprint (No network) and when I create a new blueprint and add the previous blueprint with an existing network everything seems ok as the network connection line is present.  After I have saved and exited the blueprint and then go back in, the network link disappears.  When I look at the VM in the blueprint the network component has disappeared which was previously added and configured.

Anyone have any advice on why this is happening?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dipak2000
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to mention this is vRA 7.0.1

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

To clarify...

1. You have a base Blueprint(A) with no network connection defined.

2. You create a new blueprint(B), and add blueprint(A) to the canvas.

3. You drag a network onto blueprint(B), and assign the NIC of Blueprint(A) to it.

4. You click save, but the network changes aren't saved.

Is that right?

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos
Dipak2000
Contributor
Contributor

Points 1 to 3 are correct.

Point 4 - When I click save I get the message "Blueprint was saved" but when I click finish and go back into blueprint (B) the NIC of blueprint(A) has disappeared.

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

Yep, I can reproduce this. I suspect it's a bug, although it's actually behaving in a manner that's intentional. Allow me to explain.

When you create a nested blueprint, you can't change any of it's custom properties.

When you attach a NIC to a particular network, what you are doing is assigning the property VirtualMachine.NetworkN.ProfileName to it. So, it resets it because it's not "permitted" behaviour.

As a workaround, can you create a PropertyGroup called NetworkAssignements, and then add VirtualMachine.Network0.ProfileName to it? Assign it the value of the network you want to attach to and it will work.

There is a decent amount of work going on for nested blueprints in coming releases. I will post any updates to this thread to that effect.

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos