VMware Cloud Community
Jeremy_VE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Automated deployment of pre-built Microsoft Active Directory domains?

Is it possible to deploy pre-built labs that are already configured as a fully functional Microsoft Active Directory domain using components of the vCloud Suite?  If so, which components are required and how is this accomplished?  The only choices that the consumers of the labs need to make is which individual types of servers they want installed in the lab.  By default everyone gets a domain controller, but I want it to be customizable so they can also choose to have, or not to have, Exchange, SQL, SharePoint, Web (IIS), etc...  I was originally thinking of just building all of the servers as VMs on a domain and then shutting them down and cloning them all to templates and adding those templates into VCAC and letting users select what they needed from the catalog using those templates.  It seems pretty straight forward, but then I stumbled across vCloud Application Director and saw how you can piece together an application using an OS template, application software, and a "run book".  This way you can modularize the deployment or applications.  What I'm not sure of is if you can deploy full blown operating systems with VCAD or if it's just application stacks only.  Can anyone provide some clarity on this?

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

AppD uses Logical Templates which would be mapped (in your case) back to vCAC Blueprints. The apps then get layered over top - so yes, apps and OS.

Alternative approaches are to use the guest agent for vCAC and then have it launch a script that does the install.

Your first thought is similar to the vCD vApp idea.... fine although you need to place it in a multi-machine bluprint behind an Edge so as not to get conflicts. Make sure you don't specifiy a customisation spec though.

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos
Jeremy_VE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Would it then be possible to access these VMs on which the applications are running via RDP (obviously needing to ensure the option is enabled in the VAC blueprint)?  I associate AppD with application stack virtualization, but can it also be used to deploy IaaS VMs that are accessible like any IaaS VM, i.e. RDP, SSH, console, etc...

0 Kudos