VMware Cloud Community
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Assigning costs to custom resources / advanced services

Hello,

was unable to find any docs on this nor find some way of doing it within the vcac UI - so I'm wondering: is there a way to assign costs to custom services? ATM it seems like one can only assign costs to compute resources based on RAM, CPU and Storage demands.

Are you guys working on that feature for 6.1?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkCrossley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Correct, we have a request in to VMware to fix this major omission.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MarkCrossley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Correct, we have a request in to VMware to fix this major omission.

0 Kudos
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Anything new on this?

Is it possible with vRBM 6 to assign costs to custom resources / actions / operations / custom properties (that will trigger actions)?

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can I piggyback on this?

All properties a Machine Resource can have should be available to Custom Resources... including cost and LEASESmiley Happy

I haven't gone too far into trying to figure-out/set either of them, but I can see value in having both.  (It looks like "cost" is a dead end anyway if rszymczak doesn't have it working... heheh)

0 Kudos
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Uhm I dunno if we're talking about the same thing.I guess I should make an example for clearification:

Let's say we provide a simple IaaS service to the user: "Windows Server 2008". You can now assign costs to CPU, RAM and Storage used up by the VM that will be deployed and the daily cost will be displayed to the user while he's filling out the request form.

Now we go abit further and use a custom properties "Backup Level" which let's you select a backup plan: gold, silver, bronze. Depending on the backup plan the user will get different RTO and RPO policies. Now I don't even want to make this dynamic (e.g. cost based on backup stroage used) but only static: gold will cost 5$ per day, silver 1$ and bronze 0.25$.

So we got cost added to the total-cost of the VM based on the selection of the custom property drop-down. That's what I'm trying to do.

Another example would be a day-2-operation that will cost you amount X when it's run. This would be the XaaS example where vRO Workflow runs on success acutally may cost money.

Anything like that possible without having to hack down to the core? E.g. does the vRA cost management provide any interface that I could use to add (static) daily costs per deployment/vm? Will vRBM take care of such "self-assigned" costs?

0 Kudos
SeanKohler
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yeah... I was talking about something different... but in a way the mechanism could be the same.

On the back end of a machine resource item is a cost, and I think we should have a way to set it directly based on programmatic changes.  We can SET the cost now...  As you noted, the current way to set it is through the three mechanisms (maybe four due to blueprint daily cost?) that you mention.

(With regard to blueprint daily cost... maybe you could have tiered blueprints, and if something changes... e.g. Bronze level to Gold level... you move the machine itself to a blueprint with a different blueprint daily cost? Not sure if that would work... Just a random thought...)

Here is a vRA plugin inventory item... used to illustrate what I think you are asking for, which might help me as well.

customCosts.jpg

For example... if I were to ever get really fancy and start giving out databases as a service from a shared database farm (not a db server, but a db itself).  Perhaps I would want to inventory those custom items in ASD/vRA during the request (web server, app server, backend db).  Well there is a cost associated with having a database that includes storage and hardware/licensing share.  If I have a table that I maintain with the costs, and one were to request a database as part of their environment/multi-machine request, I would need to be able to add that cost to the business group's total costs.  It would be helpful if I would have a place on the resource item to PARK that daily cost, which gets calculated over time as the total cost for the *custom* item.

From what I have seen of it... I imagine that vRBM Advanced can add costs from external database sources.  So I could have a completely different tool for costing out database instances and then aggregate the data between vRA and the other cost sources using vRBM.  But for me, what I described above sort of makes sense as a logical extension of what is already being built out in the vRA product and associated vRO plugins.  Custom resource items have those properties... but they are not used (hasCosts is false... hasLease is false).  Doesn't seem to be much of a leap to expand the product so that they may be used.  Nor does it seem to be much of a leap to add in a custom costing property which could be leveraged for both Machine and Custom resource types.

I dunno... maybe I am not making a lot of sense.  Maybe it would never be utilized.  (I guess it would depend on how well it was implemented, and how many people have custom costing requirements.)

0 Kudos
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks for sharing thoughts Sean!

I'll investigate the IaaS / CAFE Database some time this week and share my findings. It's important to review side-effects of static changes to the cost of a resource. I'll see what I find and report back as soon as I can.

About the daily cost: this could be as simple as a scheduled workflow that is created at the time somebody selects "gold/silver/bronze" and will re-run every day and add-up some pre-configured cost. Not really pretty but I guess the best we'll get right now. Oh gosh - I see lots of scripting that will be trash soon after I finish it because VMware announces a solution in vRB that does this out of the box.

@vRB guys: common, you took Chargeback Manager from us, I need a API! Isn't there anything available yet in vRB that we could use?

0 Kudos