VMware Cloud Community
pmilanese
Contributor
Contributor

After 7.3 update don't see VM object when defining field values.

I have some resource actions defined that interact with vRO/External REST APIs. It seems after upgrading to 7.3 I'm not able to select the VM object as a 'Defined Field Value' to the external call? The object shows and states 'No Sub fields'. Pre-existing Resource Actions work just fine, but if I go to edit them I see the same behaviour. 

Can anyone shed light on this? Image attached.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
siglert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is a new vRO vCenter plugin that will fix this.  It was released June 1st.  Seems 7.3 broke some scripting when you dumped some VCenter enitites with System.log.

0 Kudos
pmilanese
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this input. Can you tell me where this is further documented? It didn't make the RELNOTES from what I see.

Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
pmilanese
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
pmilanese
Contributor
Contributor

Oddly I still see this issue after patching/ensuring the system is good after upgrade. This wasn't the case prior to upgrade 😕

This is my input on the Action -

input.PNG

Add the action, go to select field data -

selectfield.PNG

And no vm object?

selectwindow.PNG

As mentioned, the pre-existing resource actions are running ok, but display the same if I try to reassign the values. If I hack the yaml and import the resource action, it runs ok, but does the same if I try to edit the values. When using the vRA interface to create a new workflow, it's not possible.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
dbuyukliiska
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This issue has been fixed in 7.4, but for 7.3 the only workaround is to modify the action in the vRO. Here are the steps how to do this:

Login to vRO client and make a copy of  the “Test passing of VC:VirtualMachine” – workflow.

Go to Actions tab and create a new action, where:

• Return type is string
  • Add parameter e.g. vmID of type string
  • The action should return the VMs by ID and then they will be converted to string and passed to vRA

action.PNG

Log in to vRA and select Design -> Resource Actions -> create a new action you want to use. Expand the workflows and select the copy if the initial workflow (the one you’ve created in the previous step).

vra-action1.PNG 

In the Form tab drag and drop a text field. Select the field and on the right hand side panel select the Constraints tab.

vra-action3.PNG

From the Value drop down menu select External -> Edit External value and then select the newly created action:

vra-action4.PNG

Select Value for the generated property of type Field.

vra-action5.PNG

Select Define Filed Values and expand objVCVirtualMachine , then select id. Click Apply

vra-action6.PNG

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos