VMware Cloud Community
rpeabody
Contributor
Contributor

Adding users to a local machine from vRealize

I was wondering if anyone had written an Orchestrator script that grabbed the user name of the person connected to vRealize and and passed the user's user id into the local administrator group on the machine that was just created. The machine is not joined to a domain. I have not found very much on the web on how to accomplish this.

If someone has done this, could they possibly also show me how to tweak it to do the same for a machine that is joined to a domain. I could use a GPO with a group, but I need to have some control over what user(s) have access to each virtual machine. (I don't want everyone in the group to have access to all of the virtual machines created by other users)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware vCenter™ to vCloud Automation CentervCloud Automation Center

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
willonit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have a workflow for adding a user to the Local Admins group with orchestrator here. It was originally built for adding domain users but could be easily modified to create a user. You could also use the guest agent to run a script to create a user as shown here.

rpeabody
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,,,, I will try these in the morning and get back to you on the results

0 Kudos
rpeabody
Contributor
Contributor

Will,

Do you have a web page or suggested video to use to show how to add a workflow as a Stub for vCAC?

I have downloaded the workflow, installed it in Orchestrator, and updated the credentials for an existing administrator user account.

I feel like a deer in the headlights after that, trying to figure out where to place the workflow and what, if any needs to be configured to make it work.

0 Kudos