VMware Cloud Community
rohi38rtt
Contributor
Contributor

Add custom code on vRA appliance

I want ro hide some features of vRA on vRA dor particular login which is not given as a configuration.

For this I had to write some scripting code on vRA page.

Is this possible ? If yes, where can I find the file ?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's absolutely not going to be supported if you do this and will likely be overwritten during an upgrade or patch. Do you realize this?

0 Kudos
rohi38rtt
Contributor
Contributor

That is why I am asking for a way around.

Is there a proper way to do this ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

There is no way around this. What is it you want to do here exactly?

0 Kudos
rohi38rtt
Contributor
Contributor

Based on login I have to hide some components from design canvas like network components etc.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Can you give a specific example? Maybe even a scenario?

0 Kudos
rohi38rtt
Contributor
Contributor

In design canvas I want to hide some categories like components , blueprint based on user login.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Still not very specific. It sounds like you want some sort of finer-grained RBAC as a blueprint designer, which you really can't provide. You're either an architect or you're not. You can't restrict some components from being consumed in the design canvas versus not for others. And there's no user code you can add to do that simply. It's very likely you'll break your vRA even if you succeed in fumbling through that.

0 Kudos
rohi38rtt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the answers but I don’t think my question is too complicated to understand, it’s  straightforward and you just need to think it like a coder.Anyways still thankful for your valuable insights.

0 Kudos
YestoVI
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

if you want to use infrastructure as code; you can create blueprint using REST API and provision VM's based on that. Way more flexible than hacking vRA.

0 Kudos
rohi38rtt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the answer but i know that approach.

I just want to do a POC, if any chance I can get hold of the code where I can update the UI Of design canvas. Is there any way of doing this ?

Implication doesn’t matter in my current context.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You cannot manually change the code when it comes to the UI of the canvas designer.

0 Kudos
rohi38rtt
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any other way of doing this ??

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos