VMware Cloud Community
Katherines01
Contributor
Contributor

ASD Resource Actions - Form not loading in vRA unable to find resource error

vRA 6.2.2

vRO 6.0.2 external appliance with vRA plugin for 6.2.2 installed and configured including component registry authentication for vRA.

Distributed install with signed SSL certificates on all vRA and vRO components.

vRA and vRO using a single PSC instance for single sign on.

In a test environment we are working with the Advanced Service Designer to create new service blueprints and resource actions. I have set up the vRO appliance as an endpoint within vRA and then specified it explicitly for my tenant under Administration>Server Configuration. The test connection works fine and I can browse the vRO inventory under Advanced Services when creating service blueprints or resource actions without issue, and have successfully created a service blueprint to deploy a VM which works fine, VM is provisioned and appears in vRA. I'm having a strange problem with the resource actions though, I can create and publish resource actions in vRA under Advanced Services but when I try to use them the form isn't loading and I get a generic error message.

For example, following the VMware documentation I used the Quick Migration of Virtual Machine preconfigured workflow and published it as a resource action in ASD, and associated it with a Service and Entitlement so it could be used. When I select a VM under Items in vRA I see the icon for the resource action and can select it, but then the request form doesn't load (for this workflow it should prompt you to select the destination host to migrate the VM to) and in red text the message "Unable to find resource. Script action com.vmware.vcac.asd.mappings/mapToVCVM cannot return result" appears and the spinning wheel icon remains on screen until vRA times out and logs the user out.

I've tried other vRO workflows (custom made) and tried selecting the action on both a VM provisioned using my custom ASD service blueprint as well as a vanilla windows vRA blueprint but they all result with the same error. Also tried a complete shutdown and power up of vRA and vRO without success. There are no errors in catalina.out on the vRA appliances when the error appears on screen, but around the first time it appeared there was a warning in the log "GET request for https://vRO_FQDN:8281/vco/api/catalog/Workflow+documentation/metadata/ico resulted in 404 (Module 'Workflow+documentation' not found); invoking error handler" and then a couple more similiar messages about "Error making request to vCO. Reason: 404 Plugin 'Workflow+documentation' not found".  The catalina.out file on the vRO appliance appears to have a java.lang.NullPointerException message around the correct time for the error appearing on screen but not 100% sure whether it is related or if I am even looking in the correct log file.

In vRO I can see the mapToVCVM workflow in the inventory as described in the VMware docs under Orchestrator>vCAC>ASD>Resource Mappings>vCenter and the account I am logged into vRA as is a tenant admin (with user role in associated service, entitlement and business groups) and a vRO admin.

On another test rig I have been able to publish the Quick Migration of Virtual Machine without issue using the same configuration and use the action to migrate a VM in vCenter from vRA, although this was v6.2.1 of vRA and v6.0.1 of vRO.

Has anyone has seen something similiar or have any ideas on what might be wrong to help with troubleshooting this.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
kericmiles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Was the machine provisioned using an advanced service blueprint? If so what is the item type it is provisioning as? Does the same error happen when you use a generic machine blueprint and try to run the action? If you go to the plugin tab in vRO then vCAC Infrastructure Administration>Virtual Machines>Your VM, is the externalReferenceID field filled in? Does the same virtualMachineID match the binding ID on the same VM under vCloud Automation Center > Items> Your VM?

0 Kudos
Katherines01
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried using both ASD blueprints (vRO workflow based on the requestCatalogItem action and a custom script to allow predefined resource sizes to be specified rather than the user selecting the size), and a generic blueprint made from a vCenter Windows 2012 template and published directly via vRA, no ASD or vRO customisation. The same error occurs on both blueprint types when you click on the Action icon whilst viewing the Item Details page in vRA the request form fails to load and displays the same message each time.

I also tried creating a linux catalog item using an out of the box RHEL image for a vCenter template, published again straight from vRA no ASD or VRO customisation and get the same error message.

If I run the provisioning of a VM using the generic windows blueprint and check in vRO (I assume you meant the inventory tab as I don't have a plugin tab) and locate the provisioned VM the externalReferenceId field is filled in. I don't see a binding ID field on the VM in vRA though, where should I be able to locate that? it's not shown on the Properties tab of the Item Details page. I can see VirtualMachine.Admin.UUID which matches the vmUniqueID field in vRO but nothing that matches the virtualMachineID value shown in vRO.

The same is true if I use my ASD blueprint, but obviously with different values assigned to the fields.

0 Kudos
kericmiles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the inventory tab you should have both a vCAC Infrastructure Administration tree and a vCloud Automation Center tree. If you don't you may be missing a plugin somewhere. Do you have the vCenter plugin configured for your vCenter server? Could you post the workflow you are trying to use here?

I can't think of anything else to try. The issue seems to be that the action to get the VM object through the is not retrieving the VM correctly, either there is a failure in a plugin somewhere or due to the VM id isn't getting passed correctly. If this is the first time you encountered the error in the environment it may be better to just do a fresh install.

0 Kudos
Katherines01
Contributor
Contributor

Yes in vRO I have both a vCAC Infrastructure Administration tree and a vCloud Automation Center tree, and I can expand both to drill down into individual VMs and catalog items. I also have a vCenter Server tree which I can again drill down through the inventory for.

The workflow I'm trying to use doesn't seem to make any difference but the one I have configured at the moment is a predefined one provided by vRO it called Quick migration of virtual machine and can be found in Library>vCenter>Virtual Machine Management>Move and Migrate. This workflow was chosen as its an example in the vRA documentation around publishing ASD resource actions.

Don't really want to reinstall, but may be forced to if can't find a solution soon.

0 Kudos
EricMachabert
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just went through the exact same error but using Vra 7.

The reason you get the error message is because vRo isn't able to connect to the vcenter to do the mapping between the VCVM and the IaaSVM.

I solved the issue by running the following Workflow to register the vCenter to vRo :

Library/vCenter/Configuration/Add a vCenter Server Instance

And I used a shared session for authentication.

You can verify vRo has access to vcenter by switching to the administer view and expand the vCenter Server section.

You should also ensure the vRa IaaS host is also registered in vRo by running the workflow:

Library/vRealise Automation/Configuration/Add the IaaS Host of a vRA Host

hope this helps

0 Kudos
Katherines01
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information, I've checked that vRO can see the vCenter as you suggested on the Administer view, and I can drill all the way down into the VMs via the vCenter inventory in vRO so it can defenitely connect. I've already got the IaaS Host and vCenter added to vRO via the workflows as provisioning from vRA using the vRO workflow stubs is working without issue.

I'm trying to get a support case logged with VMware to investigate this issue as we now have some formal licenses rather than eval ones with a support agreement.

0 Kudos
TheLittleOne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ka

0 Kudos
emerson132
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having the exact same issue did you ever get a response from support?
0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

We likely need to troubleshoot your vRO workflow. As mentioned above, the most typical cause is that vCenter is not added in vRO, or the appropriate logic is not in place to loop through multiple vCenter connections.

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos
Katherines01
Contributor
Contributor

No I didn't get to a resolution, the environment was a development platform which got redeployed before I could get anywhere towards a root cause and resolution.

0 Kudos
SebastianGrugel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From yesterday we have very similiar issue on production site. We opened case to VMware.

vExpert VSAN/NSX/CLOUD | VCAP5-DCA | VCP6-DCV/CMA/NV ==> akademiadatacenter.pl
0 Kudos
ishaarora3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did anyone get a solution to this issue? I am facing similar issue in VRA 7.4

0 Kudos