VMware Cloud Community
BrettK1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ABX Extensibility - Custom Memory Limit and Logs

This is a topic I'm not sure I can inquire about in a very good way, but here goes anyway.

I currently have a single ABX action to run after some vRO actions.
It pretty simply - uses powershell to  1) loop waiting for VMTools to know the Windows VM has joined to the domain and then 2) Adds a domain group to the local administrative group (and 3) deletes the local user running these other 2 scripts)

The default limits would regularly fail with 'not enough resources'.  Raising the Memory Limit to 512MB would still fail 50% of the time when deploying 6 VMs at the same time.  Raising it to 1025MB got me though at least one test round of 6 simultaneous VMs.  1GB RAM for such a simple script makes me feel that something is very off.  One of the few articles I've seen about this, the admin also set all their Actions to 1024GB as a default.

Are there any insights as to why this is a thing?  Looking at the vRA VM itself, it barely ever even registered any bump in RAM usage.  How can one "right size" an ABX beyond it's defaults?  How much is it actually using, and is it a 'per instance' or 'per action' or 'per all of ABX'?
For logging: The times when the action fails, the Action Logs usually show either nothing at all (...), or 100% of the logs are all internal vRA and PowerCLI output (when one of the first lines of code is to print diagnostic info with 'Write-Host', but that output is nonexistant).

This makes me think there is some vRA issue completely outside the scope of the script itself.  If the first line of a script is "write-host Hello World", yet that doesn't appear anywhere in 100 lines of output, where does the fault actually lie?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BrettK1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It appears the answer to this is now "Update to 8.7 as this has all changed dramatically in the new version"

0 Kudos