VMware Cloud Community
deepak_ashwath
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

which vmotion vmkernel port group gets used ?

Hello,

I have two virtual switches and each of these vSwitches are connected to a physical NIC.

On each of these vSwitches I have a VMkernel port group where VMotion is enabled. Hence now I have 2 vmotion port groups with the label "vmotion" and "vmotion_1"

Can anyone tell me, that when I trigger a SVmotion or Vmotion in the ESX cluster, which vSwitch is used ?? or rather which NIC or vmkernel port group gets used & why ??

Please post in your views and any answers.

Deepak

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jussijaurola
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

What is the reason to use two vSwitches connected to NIC and both have own VMotion pgroup? Why don't you use just only vSwitch with VMotion pgroup and attach several NIC's to that?

Anyway, answer to your question is that when you trigger VMotion it will use first available VMotion pgroup and if you have several NIC's it depends on your teaming settings that what physical NIC is used.

AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

SVMotion does not use a vmkernel interface, cause it runs on the SAME host.

For VMotion only one vmkernel interface will be used.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
deepak_ashwath
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks Andre, that's pretty wise.. yes SVmotion runs on the same host.

0 Kudos
deepak_ashwath
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Jussijourola,

No, I need another vmkernel PG for temporary use, hence we used like this. So you are meaning that it picks up the first VMkernel port group from the first vSwitch in a sequential manner ?

Deepak

0 Kudos
deepak_ashwath
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

CORRECT ANSWER : -

I checked it out myself and the correct answer is.....

"if in case you have 2 vmkernel port groups on 2 different vSwitches connected to their respective NICs, in the networking properties in the vmkernel port group you can check a checkbox to enable VMotion if you remember, YOU CAN ONLY CHECK IN ONE VMKERNEL PORTGROUP, IF IN CASE YOU TRY TO CHECK IN TWO VMKERNEL PORT GROUPS, THE OTHER GETS UNCHECKED AUTOMATICALLY"

"HENCE, IN SHORT, the VMotion will work only where the VMotion is enabled and it can be enabled only in one place"

THE ABOVE is applicable on separate vSwitches connected to different NICs.

Deepak

0 Kudos