VMware Cloud Community
dlee_12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmotion

hi! i've recently setup vsphere with vmotion in our ibm blade s series blade svrs with a shared storage which is accessible by all the blade svrs. I've also configured 1 vmkernel for vmotion in each of the esx server. When i try to move the vm across the esx (by dragging from the gui), it always failed at 78% with the msg operation timed out. When i try another way of doing it by using the migrate option. i noticed that in the wizard it says machine must be turned off to perform this task.

i'm not too sure what did i miss out here. i checked in the license that vmotion is enabled and in the vmkernel i created the vmotion option is checked + i'm using a backup vlan for this vmotion with the ip set. + all the ip connection is up i can ping the ip i set for vmotion and all the gw and svrs.

any advise on how can i troubleshoot this? thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

from each host can you vmkping the other hosts VMKernel IP addresses?

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

from each host can you vmkping the other hosts VMKernel IP addresses?

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If it was licensing or a known vmotion prevention like active cd etc then it wouldn't even start the process. I take it the virtual machines don't end up on the other host after it times out as virtual center does have a specific time in which to complete things. The main one I see is committing snapshots always timesout but completes maybe half an hour later.

You could maybe try increasing the timeout limits in virtualcenter and see if it is just slow.

dlee_12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi! thanks.....the reason it failed is because, i type in the wrong ip in one of the vmkernel.

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good to hear its sorted.

Dan

0 Kudos