VMware Cloud Community
PROITGC1
Contributor
Contributor

vmotion with nfs

Hello,

We are building a test network for a schoolproject. We have 3 ESX servers, 1 NFS datastore running on Windows Server 2008, On the esx servers are 2 DC's, 2 Exchange servers, and 2 ISA servers. We want to use vmotion in our network. Is it possible to use vmotion in combination with NFS.

We manage it al with vCenter Server.

We are short in time, so we need a solution a soon as possible.

Gr.

Pro IT

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jonnyrocker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do i understand you correctly that you want to use vmotion on the same network adapter which you use for ipstorage?

Or are you just wondering if you can use Vmotion in conjunction with NFS , if this is the case its no problem to do that. Just have a network adapter on each of your esx hosts which you dedicate for vmotion. This will allow vmotion for the vms on these hosts.

Best practise is to setup one network adapter for nfs one network adapter for vmotion, one for management and one for vms. If this is not possible then its depending on how many network adapters you have in your esx hosts.

B

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes. VMotion is supported for NFS storage.

---

MCSA, MCTS Hyper-V, VCP 3/4, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
ProITdtc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

We logged in with a other account..

to the point..

So it is possible to use Vmotion with NFS. But we have 1 networkcard in all our computers/servers. Do we have to create a virtual nic?

If so.. can you give us some instructions how we can create a network with Vmotion and NFS.

greetings

Pro IT

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

For VMotion you can add a VMkernel portgroup into an exisiting vSwitch. You will need to provide an IP address that other servers in the cluster can see and you will only be able to vmotion machines on shared storage inside the cluster.

I wouldn't recommend putting VMotion and your storage network on the same vSwitch unless you had no other choice.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
ProITdtc
Contributor
Contributor

OK, thnk you for your reply... we will try that.

But is it also possible to make from our datacenter in VCenter a Cluster?

And will it work witk NFS when we want to use HA?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah, on the datacenter you want to create the cluster in simply right click and new cluster. Choose the HA option and when you add host to the cluster they will be configured for HA.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
ChrisG2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have a slightly different question on the same topic. I have a ReadyNAS NFS share which I have successfully added to two ESXi 4 hosts in a cluster. My problem is that they are given different names (I entered the same name - the second host has the storage Identification listed with (1) after the name.)

Doesn't vMotion require the storage ID to be EXACTLY the same for vMotion/DRS to work?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
ChrisG2
Contributor
Contributor

I figured this one out after reading a post on a separate thread. vCenter Server had added two entries to each host for the NFS storage, one with and one without the (1) after it. A restart of the management services and I had two identically-named NFS volumes.

I did have a problem with vMotion the first time I tried it with a VM with it's disks on the NFS volume but quickly resolved it by adding the host IP addresses (DNS names didn't work for some reason) to the list of root privilege-enabled hosts on the NFS device (a ReadyNAS 1100.)

0 Kudos