VMware Cloud Community
mhabiballa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmotion vlan traffic

Dears,

I've standard sw that contains mgmt+nfs vlans connected to 2 uplinks vmnic0 and vmnic1. I've a new vDS that carries vmotion traffic in a separate vlan through a separate uplink vmnic4. Everything seems perfectly fine.

My Q is: when I tried the vmotion on a VM, it ask for a destination network, if I choose the vmotion network, the VMs' network adapter resides in that vmotion network after the migration and the VM got disconnected from the production untill I re assign the network adapter to the correct VM network (mgmt).

So, I'm confused now, for the vmotion to succeed, should I created a new network adapter in the migrated VM before the vmotion?

Or should I use the mgmt network when asking for the destination network during the migration wizard? and If so, How can I ensure that the vmotion traffic is actually traversing the vDS uplinks between source and destination hosts and not the standard switch uplinks of the mgmt vlan?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you moving the vm storage too? Depending on the type of storage it can come out the management

View solution in original post

6 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You don't pick the vmotion network for the destination, you pick the network the vm is supposed to live on.

mhabiballa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually that's make sense.
But, if you please ref. to the snapshot, a test for live vmotion shows that the VM is exiting vmnic0 which is the uplink of  mgmt vlan. It should exit through vmnic3 which is the uplink of vmotion vmk interface.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You vmotion should just be over the vmk that is tagged as a vmotion. If your management vmk has vmotion checked as well that could be why you're seeing vmotion traffic over your management network.

--Alan

0 Kudos
mhabiballa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can assure you that only intended vmotion vmk is assigned as a vmotion. That's what drive me crazy!

What else should I check?

Thanks

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you moving the vm storage too? Depending on the type of storage it can come out the management

mhabiballa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

exactly. I wasn't paying attention to this point. I was testing vmotion by moving both the compute resources and vm storage files which actually stored on NFS datastore in a separate vlan but traversing vmnic0.

I tested it again taking in mind your comment and it successfully migrated through the configured vmotion vlan using vmnics3 and 4 as uplinks.

Thank you sjesse 

0 Kudos