VMware Cloud Community
andreasluber
Contributor
Contributor

vMotioning large VMs (8 vCPUs / 128 GB RAM) -> Downtime of multiple minutes?

Hi,

when doing a vMotion for a high CPU usage / high RAM usage VMs, could it really happen that there is a downtime (while the VM is paused) of 5-10 minutes during the vMotion process of moving the VM from host A to B?

I am aware that there needs to be a short pause to copy the final memory delta, the CPU registers and to resume the VM, but normally that should take seconds, at most. I was attending a discussion and some people told me they frequently experience outages of 5-10 minutes when vMotioning very large VMs. The ESXi hosts in discussion have 2 CPU sockets, 8 cores each, 396 GB RAM, 2x 1 GBit dedicated user LAN NICs, 1x 1GBit dedicated for vMotion LAN.

Can anybody comment / share their experience on a) if downtimes of 5-10 minutes can really happen b) if there are common misconfigurations?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Andreas

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - In ten years I have never seen a pause longer than a few seconds even with a large VM -It works that well

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos