VMware Cloud Community
scotte
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vMotion Fails at 14%

Hi,

I have two nested ESXi 5.1 servers, I can vMotion to the ESXi-2 but when I vMotion to the first host the VI client reports.

"An error occurred communicating with the remote host".

The host then shows as "Not responding" in the VI client and you have to reconnect manually in the VI client.

I have checked the network configuration and done the various vmkping commands and all that checks out ok.

The hostd.log reports

An error occurred while loading configuration "/etc/vmware/config",not all entries are being read. It is strongly encouraged that you manually inspect the file and fix any corruptions.

The config file lokks exactly the same as the other host.

The vmware.log file of the particular VM being migrated states.

2013-01-23T14:01:30.673Z| vmx| I120: [msg.checkpoint.migration.nodata] The vMotion failed because the destination host did not receive data from the source host on the vMotion network.  Please check your vMotion network settings and physical network configuration and ensure they are correct.

I have removed the vSwitch used for vMotion and recreated this and it hasn't made a difference.

Can anyone suggest a fix please.

Thanks

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JCMorrissey
Expert
Expert

Hi Scott,

Take a look at http://www.vcritical.com/2011/07/vmware-vsphere-can-virtualize-itself/

In particular the folks discuss it in the comments section:

"

The issue for me is that the ip on the vmkernel port MUST be on the same exact network as everything else. The “observed IP ranges” of the vNIC on the nested host are “192.168.1.x.”I wanted to use 192.168.10.x for the vMotion enabled vmkernel ports in the nested ESXi hosts, but I simple can NOT get it to work. Any suggestions?"

Chap above wanted to use different networks but would you happy with running on the same?

Just check your settings against what they suggested and also include vlan id 4095.

See if that helps

Many tx

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... http://johncmorrissey.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos