VMware Cloud Community
cajx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

p2v a workgroup Windows XP box - VM hangs before post

I've done around a dozen p2v type migrations using VMware's converter on servers with few problems. I usually use the stand alone converter from my desk. When I try to use it on this workstation PC it won't let me b/c of some Window's rights problem (workgroup remote install of a service won't work, thanks MS). So i install the converter on the box itself, and do a conversion.Twice now the conversion appears to work, but twice the VM hangs on boot up with a black screen and a non-moving cursor.

The only differences I can think besides what I've mentioned is that the PC itself doesn't have the sysprep files, etc. But it shouldn't need that if we aren't redoing the SID, etc. right?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dmadden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Make sure the virtual disk is not IDE. Check edit settings on the virtual machine -> hard disk to confirm (there wont be a SCSI controller). If the disk is IDE, then you can re-perform the conversion but select to not preserve the disk controller (select scsi controller in drop down menu).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

have you seen this KB article, it may be helpful

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006296

cajx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much, I hadn't seen it. Sounds identical. Will check it out.

0 Kudos
cajx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not looking too good. Can't boot from a CD... can't hit F2 (I try, it doesn't register) to get to option to boot from CD. It's like the VMware BIOS is not working. I'm wondering if it isn't some weird HAL problem, like they mention further down in that link you gave me. Will try some more stuff.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

force your guest to boot into the BIOS. This way you can change your boot options. Also, the media you are using is bootable, correct?

on the guest in question: edit settings--options tab ---boot Options -- add checkbox to Force BIOS Setup

dmadden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Make sure the virtual disk is not IDE. Check edit settings on the virtual machine -> hard disk to confirm (there wont be a SCSI controller). If the disk is IDE, then you can re-perform the conversion but select to not preserve the disk controller (select scsi controller in drop down menu).

0 Kudos
cajx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Virtual Disk is IDE. So is this not supported? I'll try the approach you mention. Thanks.

0 Kudos
cajx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@ Troy, thanks I didn't know there was an option to force boot to BIOS. Very cool (it works for me, so at least that much is OK with this VM). I'm going to try the non-IDE trick before I do anything else tho.

0 Kudos
dmadden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

IDE will not work in ESX 4.0. You can also edit the descriptor virtual disk rather than perform the p2v again. You would do the following:

- Remove the virtual disk from the VM

- Edit the descriptor vmdk with a text editor

- Change the ide entry to buslogic, save and exit

- Add the virtual disk back to the VM

- Verify that the scsi controller is set to buslogic

- Power on the VM and it should boot

0 Kudos
cajx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did a reconvert using the buslogic option and it seems to be fine, thanks! I also tried editing the vmdk while the VM was off, but it didn't seem to work. When you said remove the vmdk from the VM, what did you mean? Just curious.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

IDE will not work in ESX 4.0.

I thought it was supported if using v7 virtual hardware?

0 Kudos
dmadden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sorry, I meant to say that it wont work when you convert from physical to ESX 4.0.

If you edit the vmdk file you need to remove it from the virtual machine first. Edit settings -> Hard disk -> remove -> remove from virtual machine (default).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
cajx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did do the version 7, but buslogic was the only one that worked. Thanks to both for teaching me several things!

0 Kudos