VMware Cloud Community
jithinraj
Contributor
Contributor

Whether vMotion will work if we mount the NFS volume to VM

Hi All,

I just want to understand if vMotion will work if we mount the NFS volume to VM. My plan is to deploy Linux VM and mount NFS volume directly to VM, this VM is part of HA & DRS Cluster. Here I can’t use RDM as RDM is not supported with NFS. Any suggestions??

Jithin

0 Kudos
5 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

are you speaking of a specific NFS volume, as you reffer to it as "the NFS volume"? A VM with a NFS volume mounted inside the OS can of course be vMotioned without any problems.

Regards

jithinraj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Schepp,

thanks for the reply, yes a specific NFS volume from NetApp filer. This volume will be mounting to Guest OS.

Ok..I will mount and test the Vmotion and let you know the result...thanks again

Jithin

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Anything mounted inside the Guest OS typically has no impact on vMotion (such as NFS on a Linux VM or iSCSI using the software initiator in Windows 2008).

By typically, I mean that the IP storage needs to be reachable from the destination vMotion host - obviously if you vMotion a VM to a host that can't reach the IP storage for some reason, you will have problems. The VM will still be allowed to vMotion because the VMware host is not aware of the attached storage inside the Guest OS.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Discussion moved from VMware vCenter™ Server to vMotion & Resource Management

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert

We do this extensively - whether it's a CIFS share, an NFS mount, or an iSCSI-based block volume mount, vMotion doesn't care.  It works fine.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos