Waiting for connection during vMotion

Problem is when I vMotion a running Windows VM, at about 78%

I get a black screen with the message “waiting for connection” and wheel that

goes around for about 5-10 seconds before the screen comes back and vMotion

completes.

The environment is an isolated network setup for demo

purposes only. The setup has two identical Dell R710 as hosts and Dell

EqualLogic PS5000XV iSCSI storage. Network setup is NIC 1=mgt; NIC2=network

traffic; NIC3=iSCSI to EqualLogic-kernel port nothing checked; NIC4=vMotion-kernel

port with vMotion checked. All are connected to a single D-Link GigE switch

with CAT6 cables. There is only one machine active, the one being migrated via

vMotion. I can migrate the VM when it is not running with no problem.

We know the environment is not ideal, but it should work. It

is hard to believe the network as setup would be so saturated as to cause

time-outs.

Any ideas to get this working would be welcome.

I forgot to add that the version of VMware is ESX 4.1.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - Are you using the VMware Forums? If you are what you are noticing is the console handoff from source esx to destination esx - the vmware console is a function of the esx/esxi server - try connecting via RDP and you should not see any drop -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - Are you using the VMware Forums? If you are what you are noticing is the console handoff from source esx to destination esx - the vmware console is a function of the esx/esxi server - try connecting via RDP and you should not see any drop -

0 Kudos
DustyBHN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. It will work for my customer demo. However, it still doesn't resolve the issue as to why there is a network timeout during the hand-off. I never saw that behavior before in more than two dozen VMware environments I have installed.

0 Kudos
HemantPatel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I have the same issue. I took RDP and tried vmotion but still it wouldnt work for me. I will give you update once i will have.

regards,

Hemant Patel

0 Kudos