VMware Cloud Community
VMXTROOPER
Contributor
Contributor

Vmotion & Vsphere - Basic Question

We have 3 ESX 4 Hosts with 4 processors & 4 Cores. We have about 145 VM's which are Windows 2008 Servers for Developers to test scripts, etc... The problem is that all 3 Hosts are taxed concerning resources. The Servers are HP DL 580 G5/G6 with 64MB Ram, 2.4GZ Processors, etc.. We are using Leftand Storage ( 2 each for SAN /IQ Storage (i.e iSCSI). Automatic Vmotion is slow to nill and I was wondering if there is any way to increase performance. I am getting a lot of VMotion migration errors. I can only rely on manual Vmotion. I have adjusted the advanced settings from 0 to 1 & back from 1 to 0 with no luck. I know we are over taxed with VM's on our resources but its not my or my Manager's call. Any advice for a bit of improvement? I have moved VM's, used thin provisioning, deleted excess floppies, restructured Resource pools, etc... with no luck.

Any advice is better than none at all.

Thanks to all fellow VMware Professionals in Advance

VMXTROOPER

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ab_lal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Have you tried putting resourse allocation limit on VM's that are highly utilised.

I would suggest that you have a look at the "View Resource Distribution chart" see tabs for Memory and CPU. Identify the VM's that are highly utilised and Edit thier settings to limit CPU and memory utilization. This will help in reducing overcommitment of resources and ensure availability of resources for other VM's.

Hope this helps in reducing Vmotion errors.

Anand Mewalal

VMXTROOPER
Contributor
Contributor

I have done that & also restructured the Resource Pools to allow th more utiized VM's to have a bigger share of resources as well. I noticed this morning that I can Vmotion manually from Host 1 to Host 2. However, Host 3 won't allow manual migrations unless the VM's are turned off and then migrated.

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert

try bumping up the service console memory to 800mb (Configuration|Memory). it takes a reboot to set the change, but it gives more memory to the SC where the processes live that do the vmotion work. (also helps with snapshot operations). If it's already at that level or in addition, try stopping any 3rd party agents (HP ASM/ILO agents, storage mgmt, snmp monitors, etc...)

0 Kudos