VMware Cloud Community
baltman99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmotion - VM from one host to another host

I have a lab setup as I am new to VMware and trying to move a powered on VM from one host to another host and it errors. I have attached an image of the error. (vmotionError2.png)

They way I am running this is as follows:

System built machine Running ESXi 4.1.0 260247

Host 1

On it I have two ESXi 4.1.0 260247 VM's running and Vcenter Server and three other VM's

Host 2 (Different Phyisical Hardware)

On this I have ESXi 4.1.0 260247

Host 3

This is the first Virtual ESXi 4.1 on Host one called ESXi41-1 which has a powered on VM of Windows XP Pro.

Host 4

This is the second Virtual ESXi4.1 on Host one called ESXi41-2 which is where I am trying to vmotion the Windows XP Pro VM to.

The nics are on full 1000 duplex.

Any suggestions or help would be great. This is what I am working with and trying to get good at to take my VCP exam.

Thanks Again

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

All the best, with that you could play with DRS, HA, FT and more 😃

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

for VMotion to work you will need:

VM to be in shared storage that is accessible between the source and destination ESX/ESXi Host. The error message is telling you that the destination host could not access the storage. It's a local storage, and you will need to relocate to a shared storage in your environment.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

in order to vMotion a VM from one host to another, the virtual disk (as well as the other files) have to be on shared storage, accessible to both hosts. vMotion only transfers the workload to the other host, not the virtual disk.

André

baltman99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you both for the response. I will try and build an iSCSI San using openfiler this weekend. Then add this in the host storage. Hope that is correct.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

All the best, with that you could play with DRS, HA, FT and more 😃

0 Kudos