VMware Cloud Community
dornfm94
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual NIC on VM couldn't ping externally after Vmotion

Today I vmotioned 5 MS SQL 2005 servers over to a new DRS Cluster. All SQL servers use the "Production_LAN" network and a single virtual NIC of type "VMXNET 3".

The first 4 SQL VM (Windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise x32 bit) vmotioned over without a hitch.

The last SQL VM I vmotioned (Windows 2003 Standard x64 bit R2) vmotioned over without error, but I upon completion, I could no longer ping the VM. I went into the VM and could not even ping the gateway, however I could ping the loopback. This SQL server is extremely busy in comparison with the previous 4 VM's. I restarted the server and it came back up with the virtual nic working just fine.

The build of both servers (vmotioner and vmotionee) is ESX 4.0.0 175625 - So, pre-update 1.

Should I suspect the network switch/VM for possibly not updating the mac table on the switch?

Anybody else ever have this issue or know what may have caused it?

Thank you!

Matt

0 Kudos
6 Replies
karavinds1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Matt,

I would suspect the network settings for this VM. Please check to which VLAN is this VM connected to?

Regards,

Aravind K

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Regards, Aravind K If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
dornfm94
Contributor
Contributor

>I would suspect the network settings for this VM

I do not suspect the network settings, because the server has the default VMXNET3 driver settings, as do the other servers that I migrated over. I also do not suspect it because upon reboot, it server worked correctly...

0 Kudos
AnatolyVilchins

There's only one way to know for certain if it's a host, vswitch or VM

problem and that's by testing the migration methodically as the problem

could be with any of those objects.

from http://serverfault.com/questions/101876/virtual-nic-on-vm-couldnt-ping-externally-after-vmotion

Starwind Software Developer

www.starwindsoftware.com

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Check network configuration: vSwitchs (nb of ports available ...), port groups, physical nics, even cables... If you have several pNics, test each one to be sure of the physical links.

0 Kudos
dornfm94
Contributor
Contributor

Each virtual switch, called "Production_LAN" is assigned only one active nic, and one standby nic, and by having moved over other VMs to same host without incident as I had posted about, would seem to indicate the port groups, physical nics, and cables are fine. Also, there are plenty of ports available, as demonstrated by that the VM found a port when in rebooted.

0 Kudos
dornfm94
Contributor
Contributor

Anatoly,

I agree. Unfortunately this will not be possible, as I brought down our primary SQL server in the middle of the day. Management would never let me test that again with that kind of load on it. I realize that my inability to redo the process that broke it will never tell me whether it's fixed, however, when I tossed this thread out here I was hoping somebody might have seen this before and have some silver bullet answer.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

0 Kudos