VMware Cloud Community
c2jkeegan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMs within vApps

We are looking into vSphere and I’m a little confused about creating vApps. I see that vApps can create one or more VMs that are related to that app, but it’s not clear if all those VMs get logically combined into one object.

For example say we have an app that has redundant web and app server VMs (DB is physical) and we want to make sure that the two web and two app server VMs are on different ESX hosts via DRS affinity rules.

Is this still possible via a vApp or does the entire vApp run on a single server and having redundant servers inside the vApp doesn’t make a lot of sense?

Thanks,

Joe

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

We are looking into vSphere and I'm a little confused about creating vApps. I see that vApps can create one or more VMs that are related to that app, but it's not clear if all those VMs get logically combined into one object.

Yes, the vApp is an object that will appear in your Inventory listing. You can then expand it to see the virtual machines it contains.

For example say we have an app that has redundant web and app server VMs (DB is physical) and we want to make sure that the two web and two

app server VMs are on different ESX hosts via DRS affinity rules.

Is this still possible via a vApp or does the entire vApp run on a single server and having redundant servers inside the vApp doesn't make a lot of sense?

Yes, it is still possible. The virtual machines contained in the vApp can span multiple ESX hosts, have their own affinity rules, etc. Its another way to organize or manage a group of machines or a way to gain more flexibility, not take it away.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

We are looking into vSphere and I'm a little confused about creating vApps. I see that vApps can create one or more VMs that are related to that app, but it's not clear if all those VMs get logically combined into one object.

Yes, the vApp is an object that will appear in your Inventory listing. You can then expand it to see the virtual machines it contains.

For example say we have an app that has redundant web and app server VMs (DB is physical) and we want to make sure that the two web and two

app server VMs are on different ESX hosts via DRS affinity rules.

Is this still possible via a vApp or does the entire vApp run on a single server and having redundant servers inside the vApp doesn't make a lot of sense?

Yes, it is still possible. The virtual machines contained in the vApp can span multiple ESX hosts, have their own affinity rules, etc. Its another way to organize or manage a group of machines or a way to gain more flexibility, not take it away.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
c2jkeegan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great Thanks!

0 Kudos
cmwitt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how does the vapp startup policy work in relation to a cluster HA failover. We have an app/web server that has to come online after the database is back up. Affinity rules put these 2 systems on the same host, but if that host fails and HA starts them up on another host, will it use the vapp startup rules to restart (bring the db up then wait to bring the web/app online)?

0 Kudos