VMware Cloud Community
jeffoutwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMotion and VLAN configurations

VMotion and VLAN configurations

ESXi 4.0 / vCenter 4.0

Can someone help clarify how to configure VMotion ports when using VLANS.

Here is the design;

Two vnics teamed on standard Virtual Switch 0

One network for management and another network for VMotion traffic

Management port group is on VLAN 103 and it’s default gateway is set to VLAN 103 network

When I add a VMkernel port group for VMotion and configure the network and I use the default VLAN 103 gateway I can not vmkping the other similarly configured VMotion interfaces.

If I modify the default gateway settings and use the VMotion gateway, then bad things happen, i.e. lose connectivity to the service console.

Thanks, -Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As long a sthjey ar eon the same physical segment (i.e. plughed into the same physical switch) there will be no need for a gateway address for the vmotion network -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As long a sthjey ar eon the same physical segment (i.e. plughed into the same physical switch) there will be no need for a gateway address for the vmotion network -

0 Kudos