VMware Cloud Community
charlieppr7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMOTION question

Hi  guys : I'm trying  to  do  Vmotion  between  2 ESXI  hosts  ;  I don't  have   a shared  Storage.

It is Possible  to  do  VMotion  On ISCSI  storage  between  the  2 ESX  hosts? 

ALso. Im getting  a  security error    please  let me   know  how  I can fix this  problem  thanks.ESXI1.PNGESXI2.PNGVMOTION ERROR.PNG

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

vSphere 5.1 and newer support enhanced vMotion where both, Storage and Workload are migrated at the same time (no shared storage required). However, this feature is only available from the vSphere Web-Client.

André

0 Kudos
charlieppr7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks    for the info .Do  you know  how to fix  the permission  issue  please let me know ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

vMotion without shared storage is only possible using the Web based vSphere Client. The Windows based vSphere Client only allows cold migrations for non-shared storage.

André

0 Kudos
charlieppr7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great  Thank  you   I was able  to  do  the  Cold  migration  on  the Web Based Vspehere  Client  without  any errors !!!

One  more question  After  I created a Cluster on my  Data center  I  moved both  ESXI Hosts  to the  Cluster   now both  are

showing  an  exclamation   mark  and  of  my  VM's  show  that is  disconnected  and is not  accessible  please  advise  how to

fix this  problem?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Hard to say what's causing this without further details. Some things you may want to check are:

- see whether there's an informational message on the host's summary page, or on the alerts tab

- do the ESXi hosts have Management Network redundancy?

- see whether DNS resolution works, i.e. the hosts can resolve the vCenter Server FQDN and vice versa

If you cannot find a solution, please post a screenshot. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

André

0 Kudos
charlieppr7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is  the  Exclamations  mark   will  affect  the  ESX hosts ?  Also  after  I created  the  Cluster  I  lost  one of the  VM  is showing  that is

Inaccesible  .Please  advise  how to  recover  the  Vm  thanks.Host error.jpg

0 Kudos
charlieppr7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Andre  are  you  familiar  with  VDI  please let me know thanks.

0 Kudos
cjscol
Expert
Expert

Select one of the hosts and post a screenshot from the Summary tab.

I am guessing that you either

• only have one vmnic connected to the vSwitch the Management vmkernel port is on or
  • you have SSH enabled on the hosts.
Calvin Scoltock VCP 2.5, 3.5, 4, 5 & 6 VCAP5-DCD VCAP5-DCA http://pelicanohintsandtips.wordpress.com/blog LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cscoltock
0 Kudos
charlieppr7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks  question do  you  have  to  take  the  Bootcamp   class  from VMware first  before  you take  any test  please let me know  thanks.

0 Kudos