VMware Cloud Community
Dom2D2C3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM running on two hosts after hung vmotion

Hello,

I started a VMotion of a VM from host A to host B. The request got hung at 65% for several hours. I restarted the VCenter service, relogged in to vsphere. The process was no longer running but now the VM shows up on both Host A and Host B.

The Cluster- "Virtual Machine" tab shows the VM and cycles between two hosts every couple seconds ??

Has anyone seen this before ? How do i correct this ? Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First this is impossible.  A VM cannot be 2 different places at once.  It's just in trasition.

Secondly vCenter manages the process but it's not actually doing the vMotion, the ESX hosts are.

What is happening is the VM lives on one host until it's completed the move to the other host (somewhere around 97%) when the the transfer confirms with the new host.

Best thing to do is restart management services on both hosts and see if that frees up the vMotion.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First this is impossible.  A VM cannot be 2 different places at once.  It's just in trasition.

Secondly vCenter manages the process but it's not actually doing the vMotion, the ESX hosts are.

What is happening is the VM lives on one host until it's completed the move to the other host (somewhere around 97%) when the the transfer confirms with the new host.

Best thing to do is restart management services on both hosts and see if that frees up the vMotion.

Dom2D2C3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well if i was running FT that would be possible, right? (which i'm not)

Thanks!!!! restarted the mgmt agents on HOST A and everything looks fine now.

0 Kudos