VMware Cloud Community
A808287
Contributor
Contributor

URGENT help on VMware 4.1 DRS design

Dear Champs ,

I am new to Vmware & need to design VMware resource pools . I have 5 Hosts giving total of 200 Cores @ 2.40GHz, 1280GB Memory.

My need for this resource pool is 24 VMs

21 VMs require  8 Core , 16GB Memory ( requirement from application team ) & 3 VMs require  8 Core , 8GB Memory ( requirement from application team)

I am confused for design of Resource pools.

My idea is to give 2VCPU as reservation & 8VCPU as limit. What to do for memory ??

Can anybody give me right direction in designing ???

How many resource pools i need to create ??

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcoem to the Community - so you understand Resource Pools give you the ability provide pools out of the full pool of resources in the cluster - you can prioritize the amount of resources the pool will get when there i contention - you can the consumption with a limit and reserve resources to insure they will always be available - the number of pools is going to be determined by how you want to organize the environment - I would create the pools based on function for example development and production.

I would not worry about setting reservations and limits intially and only assign the approriate shares to the pool - create your the pools that you need under the DRS cluster and monitor the resource consumption and configure your shares to insure the resources being delivered to the resource pools with the critical apps -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Also moved to a more approriate forum 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos