VMware Cloud Community
tkutil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage Motion Large VM

Im looking for advice or experience in using storage motion on a large VM. The total size in disks is 21TB, but i have each disk/vmdk assigned its own datastore/volume. Most of the disks are are under 1TB but i have 2 that are each 5TB and 6TB. From migrating previous 1-2TB range vms I suspect about 1-2 hours per TB moving time. Im just wondering if anyone has moved some large vms with storage motion and if they did anything to help ensure success and maybe improve performance. Im migrating from one Nimble array to another and thought about using nimble replication as an alternative solution.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

I have never done vMotion storage of such large VMs but what I can tell you is that the traffic of the vMotion storage passes from Network Management (and not from the dedicated vMotion cards). So if you want to see a good performance you need to have 10Gb management nic

Bye 

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Stroage vMotion may take some time with large virtual disks, but I'd just let it run. Only make sure to disable/suspend any tasks (e.g. VM based backup) which try to take VM snapshots, while the migration is running.

André

0 Kudos