VMware Cloud Community
robertwebb
Contributor
Contributor

Performance issues using the sqlexpress database

Not sure if I am posting in the correct place or not.

If I setup using the sqlexpress 2005 database in which the matrix tells me is good for 5 hosts and 50 guests, what issues will I see if I go over that?? I have 28 hosts and 114 servers, not all powered on though, currently and am starting to see some spontaneous reboots in different guests.

I have a plan together to do the upgrade to SQL Server 2005 64 bit but am wodering if my issue will go away once I complete this.

Robert

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I don't believe that SQL express will be causing spontaneous reboots. I'd have a closer look at the machines that are failing.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The only thing you will see if you overload SQL Express database size is that Virtual Center will be unavailable and you won't be able to use it. Otherwise, as long as the 4GB disk space isn't reached, then you may hit the performance limits having SLQ using 1 CPU and 2Gb of RAM (or whatever those limits are again).

VM's rebooting have nothing to do with SQL...

malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

SQL is meant for vCenter server only. if vCenter is down, the VM will still continue running. you may wanan check the configuration you had setup on the ESX host or cluster. I suspect it may cause by the virtual machine monitoring option from the cluster.

Craig

vExpert 2009

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com